When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about roadmaster cwc tank bikes

-

1937Zenith

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi this is my first post here so any help or guidance would be much appreciated. I am not new to vintage bikes I have owned MANY however I still have a lot to learn so here it goes. I just picked up 2 old skip tooth tank bikes and am trying to learn more about them. One is clearly a road master and it looks to be a luxury liner with some mis matched parts. One thing I find weird though is the horn is mounted to the left tank where all the pics I see online the button is mounted on the right tank. Any insight on why this may be? Also the handle bars look like they are 1930s or 40s but this is clearly a 1950s bike so was there any early models that maybe had this crossbar setup? Last but not least any help identifying the other brown and black bike would be much appreciated. It has no badges

Hi this is my first post here so any help or guidance would be much appreciated. I am not new to vintage bikes I have owned MANY however I still have a lot to learn so here it goes. I just picked up 2 old skip tooth tank bikes and am trying to learn more about them. One is clearly a road master and it looks to be a luxury liner with some mis matched parts. One thing I find weird though is the horn is mounted to the left tank where all the pics I see online the button is mounted on the right tank. Any insight on why this may be? Also the handle bars look like they are 1930s or 40s but this is clearly a 1950s bike so was there any early models that maybe had this crossbar setup? Last but not least any help identifying the other brown and black bike would be much appreciated. It has no badges
You've come to the right place....But pictures will help..... I see you have another Identical post with pics...

You've come to the right place....But pictures will help..... I see you have another Identical post with pics...
Yeah I accidentally double posted then couldn’t figure out how to edit my posting to add photos. I’ll add one to this reply if that helps

9022CF9E-4F51-45D5-AC40-D9B012B18FC8.jpeg

The brown and black bike is also CWC, I think that's what they call a three gill, for the three "gills" at the front of the tank. But I've also heard it called a comet because of the embossed comet on the side. The fenders don't look original on the brown and black bike. The serial numbers on both bikes should be under the bottom bracket. Here's a comet with the original fenders:

Luxury Liners had the horn on the left side of the tank from 1947-1950. They moved it to the right side after that. Also, your bottom truss rods on your fork appear to be straight which I believe was changed in early 1948. So your Luxury Liner appears to be either a 1947 or an early 1948 model.

Luxury Liners had the horn on the left side of the tank from 1947-1950. They moved it to the right side after that. Also, your bottom truss rods on your fork appear to be straight which I believe was changed in early 1948. So your Luxury Liner appears to be either a 1947 or an early 1948 model.
Yes you are correct they are straight. Awesome thanks a lot for the insight!!

Back