When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quetzal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

fat tire trader

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
A couple of weeks ago, I was in the local bike shop admiring a Windsor. I told the shop owner that I would love to own a beautiful Mexican bike. I had a Windsor last year, but it was too big for me so I sold it.

When I went into the shop yesterday. The shop owner had been given a Quetzal by the owner of the Windsor. The shop owner knew I would be more excited about it than him, so he gave it to me.

I think it is from the late 50s or early 60s, based upon the parts that it came with, Campy Gransport derailleurs, high flange hubs, Stronglight cranks and Weinmann brakes. I have not looked closely at the rear derailleur yet to determine which generation of Gran Sport it is. I will also look at the dates on the cones in the hubs. The baike came in pieces with most of the pieces in a box. It is missing the head badge.

I am very excited to have a Quetzal in my collection. I even speak a tiny bit of the Mayan Guatemalan language Quiche.

quetzal-1.jpg

You can see more pictures here http://fattiretrading.com/quetzal.html I will add more when it is cleaned up and put together.

Thanks,
Chris

-----

Thanks very much for sharing this new arrival.

Have you been able to learn anything of the manufacturer, location, years of operation?

Lug pattern appears to be a truncated BOCAMA 68/II. Pump pegs NERVEX Ref. 845. Do not recall seeing these seat stay plugs previously.

Will look forward to following along as you work with it.

-----

Last edited:
-----

Thanks very much for sharing this new arrival.

Have you been able to learn anything of the manufacturer, location, years of operation?

Will look forward to following along as you work with it.

-----

Not much yet, except my friend Carlos has one. I have not spoken to him since before I got my Quetzal. I'm waiting for him to respond. You can see his here

This is what my friend Carlos wrote in 2018

I'm interested in the early Tour of Mexico races, in particular 1950 to 1952. In one of those years, possibly '50, a French team raced and if I understand correctly, a gentleman by the name of Blaise Quaglieri won the general classification and his team mate Leon Duau (sp?) made the podium.

Blaise and Leon were recruited by the Mexican team Huracan and eventually they settled in Guatemala in 1952. Blaise was a friend of the family and supplier to Guatemala's team Flecha Roja, locally famous for being the first Central American team, in any sport, to participate in the Olympics (Helsinki, 1952). Blaise founded Guatemala's first bicycle company, Quetzal, and I own possibly the only surviving Quetzal bike from that era.

This is what my friend Carlos wrote in 2018

I'm interested in the early Tour of Mexico races, in particular 1950 to 1952. In one of those years, possibly '50, a French team raced and if I understand correctly, a gentleman by the name of Blaise Quaglieri won the general classification and his team mate Leon Duau (sp?) made the podium.

Blaise and Leon were recruited by the Mexican team Huracan and eventually they settled in Guatemala in 1952. Blaise was a friend of the family and supplier to Guatemala's team Flecha Roja, locally famous for being the first Central American team, in any sport, to participate in the Olympics (Helsinki, 1952). Blaise founded Guatemala's first bicycle company, Quetzal, and I own possibly the only surviving Quetzal bike from that era.
Thank you for sharing . Very interesting info.

-----

correction -

forum software will not permit post edit of my earlier message

lug pattern is BOCAMA 18/II

-----

Back