When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Racer?

-
Nice,,,,IT is What YOU Want It to Be!!!!!;)
Seems All Original Except for the Handlebars (Rambler), and I Need Them!!!:D
Good Luck!

Whoa...nice find! I own the Roman in the thread posted by Fordsnake.

This is the only other one I’ve seen.

Let me know if you end up with it. I’d love to compare notes.

Bummer you didn't get it, looks like a nice bike.

Question Y'all... What exactly is a "Racer" in the TOC era? So many references to the racer bike, no consistency in the bicycles touted as racer, so what gives?

I think racer refers to the rider not the bike.

Bummer you didn't get it, looks like a nice bike.

Question Y'all... What exactly is a "Racer" in the TOC era? So many references to the racer bike, no consistency in the bicycles touted as racer, so what gives?

I think racer refers to the rider not the bike.
Racers were always lighter by a few pounds.

Racers were always lighter by a few pounds.
Is that a matter of the frame and fork construction? Or is it how it's accessorized lighter wheels bars etcetera?

I see many images of Club racing or street racing most of the bikes look ordinary like any other production bike for the public

From my Tribune (1894-1902) research, the Racing Models typically weighed 18-19 pounds where the more durable road models were 20-24 pounds. They were lighter because frame tubing and connections were thinner and they used lighter racing rims and tires. Racing tires were listed at 1-3/8" instead of typical road tires at 1-1/2" or 1-5/8". Also the frame geometry was slightly different. Tribune racing frames had 3" drop from line of axles to center of crank. Road models had 1-1/2" +/- drop. Specifications varied slightly over the various years of production but the pattern of racers being lighter than road versions was consistent. Overall though, the road and race versions look pretty much similar to each other. Racing handle bars, seats, and pedals can make most any TOC frame look like a racer.

Here is an 1897 Tribune Special Racer and a Special Racer Tandem (both nameplates say "Special":(
1897 Catalog Cut.JPG

IMG_5245.JPG

Cropped.JPG

1897 - Tribune - Special Racer - 1425-58.jpg

Back