When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Racing pedal identification

-

rusty_apache

Finally riding a big boys bike
I want to identify these because I need to make new straps for these pedals. They are from my 1901 National model 41.
I could just “wing it” but they are riveted to plates that bolt into place so I want to get them correct the first time.
I would also like to see the how the clips were designed as it looks like they attached to the riders shoes, so that I could possibly fabricate them too.

C7904FBD-080E-41C6-9130-AD3B3A2658E9.jpeg
62AD38E6-7CA4-4A46-B07E-E675C8D99098.jpeg

Last edited:
oh wow, those are awesome
don't have any idea what they are, but I want them!!!

I have a few racing bikes from the 20's from top racers, and I was told from their family that racers would have their feet strapped to the pedals permanently for the race, this is probably done with this kind of pedals

Kevin,

This is how I was going to do them but never got around to it. They are very similar to these and the closest I've been able to find. I'm sure the leather strap is about the same.

I think I may have shown this to you before but here it is again.

Bill

View attachment 821466

Thanks again Bill.
I may eventually use that as a pattern. I was just hoping to learn the name of the manufacturer or somewhere to research it.

Also I have an old saddle leather to make them out of so I only have one shot to get it right.

I'm wondering that if you were to slide the axle out that there might be a name somewhere.

Put a shoe on the pedal as it would sit and do a test fit with another piece of material to get a pattern before you cut it.

Good luck and can't wait to see it finished.

That is kind of what I suspected. Too bad they didn’t save the shoes.

I have a pair of racing shoes from the 20's that came with one of the bicycle that I own and the complete racing history.
I will get a picture of them when I can.
A real simple soft leather shoe with the thi lneather sole.

Last edited:
I have a pair of racing shoes from the 20's that came with one of the bicycle that I own and the complete racing history.
I will get a picture of them when I can.
A real simple soft leather shoe with the thi lneather sole.

That would be interesting to see!

Back