When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Racing Tandem Facelift: Crescent Model 20

-

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Here is the Crescent rear steer Model 20 tandem I bought just before Memory Lane. The bicycle had a lot going for it, especially the original matched Crescent pedals and racing bars. Someone spray bombed the frame black. I could see original paint silhouetting through the overpaint. It seemed much of the period surface was gone but the bike still warranted time and attention to expose the original surface.

The overpaint is coming off very nicely. Areas of the black enamel with turquoise-green striping are presenting all over the bicycle. Where the areas of paint loss are, the exposed metal has a great patina.

I still need to find matching saddles and a few other parts. Presumably whoever sprayed the bike black also swapped the wood rims for 26 inch drop centers. Lady Fortuna was in my favor because they used the original rear hub and Crescent sprockets; a correct front hub is needed. I am going to wait until I am finished removing the overpaint to determine what pair of rims to use. I want them to compliment the overall feel of the bike with the remaining painted surface.
F496A57C-66AF-4EAF-8C4C-18E369FC5662.jpg

On the operating table:

IMG_6135.jpg

IMG_6131.jpg

IMG_6133.jpg

Last edited:
I am pretty much finished with the paint removal on the tandem. Again there was heaps of loss to the original paint. I was fortunate to save what was remaining and found bits of striping all over. Below are images of a mock-up with the bicycle's OG bars and pedals. The rear seat chassis and metal internal seat form also came with the bike.
IMG_6142.jpg

IMG_6143.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

IMG_6144.jpg

Back