When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Racycle 411

-

ejlwheels

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Help me confirm that this frame is a Racycle frame. Range of years 1900-1907?
IMG_1481_zpsd55e10bc-1.jpg

IMG_1482_zpsf1a87046-1.jpg

The cups are threaded on the outside like this early (year?) diagram:
racyclecrankhanger_zps0da660f8-1.jpg

The crank parts I have are more like this 1908 diagram, but they seem to fit.
I'm looking for the connecting bolt and nuts before proceeding with having them made.
1908_RacycleCatalog6_A_zps7281edbb-1.jpg

Yes, early frame, 1901-'02, for '03, they added a knurled ring near the ends of the bearing cups, the "improved hanger" was introduced in '04 and didn't have the external threads. The internal hardware was the same until the "new improved hanger" which was introduced around '12 (I believe).... Keep in mind that the thread on the main connecting bolt is LEFT HANDED! The lock nut and cover nut are different from each other, keep that in mind too, if you have new lock and cover nuts made, I may be interested in a couple, let me know!

Good luck with your Racycle!

Last edited:
Yes, I knew the threads were left-handed from the diagram.
I've got a LH die and I threaded a nylon rod to test the fit.

What should the fork crown look like for this frame?

I thought I remembered seeing them on a few early frames but right now, the only image I can find showing them is the Canadian Cushion, which might also throw off the date a bit too.... I'm not sure when the Berlin & Racycle Manufacturing Company made hardware changes....

image.jpg

Back