When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Racycle From Copake

-

1898Columbia

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi - I have been an admirer of Racycles for a long time and I was fortunate to buy one of those offered at the last auction in Copake. The bike needs a few fixes to make it roadworthy, plus I want to learn more about it, so I will be posting my questions as I get time to work on it. I am still new to this and I do appreciate all of your knowledge! So here goes:
This head badge is different from most I have seen. Why?
Does this chain appear to be correct? If not does anyone know where I can buy a correct one? I believe at least some of the chains were marked Racycle.
Thanks for looking and for your comments.
21730288.jpg
DSC04478.jpg
DSC04477.jpg
DSC04465.jpg

Bock Chain

awww - your the guy who out bid me...... Mike Cates of the Wheelman can make you one that should work. Here is a link to a little on Racycle and chains ... http://racycle.blogspot.ie/2009/03/racycle-chain-another-racycle-oddity.html

3/16” wide $50.00/ft
¼”, 5/16”,3/8”, and ½” wide $45.00/ft

Mike Cates
2257 Cameo Road,
Carlsbad,
CA 92008-2759

Email: [email protected]
(760) 473-6201 cell (best to reach me at)
(760) 729-0321 home / answering machine

Yep, headbadge is early (pre-1901), the chain is a diamond chain, not Racycle, a block chain like this would only be correct on an early Pacemaker as the later ones wore rollers.

"Special" could refer to tandem, racer, custom frame....This badge may not have come with this

bike. Narrow Tread is up until 1900....Self Oiling afterward...I think you got a great deal on this

purchase and I was surprised to see both Racycles go for such little money. I'd go with a roller

chain on it if you want to ride it. Mike Cates on the Wheelmen has bulk chain lengths. I would love

to see some more pics and details of your bike.....! Welcome !!!!

Thanks guys for the information. Here are a couple more pictures. I found a scratch in the black paint, it looks like it might be green underneath.
DSC04502.jpg
DSC04489.jpg

It is missing some hardware for the handlebars. I'm not sure about nickel vs chrome, I'm not too good at telling them apart, I'll have to look again.
DSC04491.jpg
DSC04492.jpg
DSC04495.jpg
DSC04510.jpg
DSC04504.jpg
Thanks again for looking.

Back