When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Racycle Tri-Spring Fork

-
Here's an interesting excerpt from an online business blog; A patent is only as good as your ability to fight for it. The patent office does not help you, except to provide a service to prove that you patented your device on a particular date. You fight your opponent in court at your own expense. Your chance of winning is not assured because there are many slippery ways around the patent laws.

So you may have paid lots of money getting a patent, set your marketing back several years because of secrecy and STILL not be able to prevent competition. In fact, you spend even more money (and time) trying to defend the undefendable.

Patents are an exceptionally bad idea for innovators with limited funds. Often Patents are 'stolen' and used without the innovators concent because the thief knows that the innovator does not have the money to take them to court.

Here's an interesting excerpt that illustrates a predatory strategy; apparently Mr. W.E. Smith lost his patent control to the unscrupulous Pope Mfg, because Smith didn't separately patented his idea in every country, therefore losing privileges and compensation. Enforcing a patent takes a lot of moola!

ScreenShot20131020at61033AMpng-1.jpg

Blue Nelson has an early Racycle springer fork that is only one single leaf spring

on either side. He took it out for it's initial ride after plating, etc., and it snapped!

His Iver has that double fork on it; the bike that was supposedly displayed in the

lobby of the Iver Johnson company. (Complete nickel frame and fork)

Was/is the fork that Fordsnake displayed at the start of this thread the same one that

was on eBay? I wonder(ed) who won that piece? I was in the bidding, but it went a bit

high. (for me)

Back