When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Radiant" Schwinn colors....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mickeyc

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
What makes a Radiant color? The '59 Panther II colors are listed as "Radiant red, green, blue and black". I have seen a couple Panthers and it looks like the color has been sprayed over a "brightener"? Maybe silver? Why aren't the green and blue listed as "radiant' if that's the case?

Radiant colors: like Flamboyant and Opalescent are candy paint coatings. Primered, then Aluminum (Metallic silver) and 'candied' with final coating of Transparent/translucent colored top coat.

Aren’t the candy colors also semi-transparent such that the silver undercoat “brightens” up the final look?

Aren’t the candy colors also semi-transparent such that the silver undercoat “brightens” up the final look?
True candy colors are transparent. Basically, like a tinted clearcoat. They are extremely difficult to paint. They must be applied in absolutely even coats or you will have dark spots.

I don't think the radiant colors on the '59-'60 Panthers could be called candy colors. Just look like they had a different under coat than primer.

I don't think the radiant colors on the '59-'60 Panthers could be called candy colors. Just look like they had a different under coat than primer.

All of the, [At least pre 1985} Schwinn, metallic in appearance, from about 1952 until, as far as I know, too mid 80's/ , are candy.

Haven't been close enough to post 1984 to know fer sure or just exactly at which point Taiwan painted em but, the 90's too bankruptcy in 2002, are not, they're single coat metal flake. That's also fairly deep' for cheap-o guys and nice tiny metal flake reflecting pretty bright throughout the depth.

Gives good looky at thier candy especially in sunlight.

Last edited:

A candy (transparent) paint needs a base coat of some sort to reflect the light thru the Candy (tinted clear) or the whole process/effect will be lost. All the Opalescent, Radiant and Flamboyant colors were a "tinted clear" shot over an aluminum/silver base coat that was shot over the red oxide primer.

Back