When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh bicycle sign information welcome please.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tanksalot

I live for the CABE
This is a old Raleigh Sign with raised letters also it’s two sided . This came from a Bike shop that closed years ago. I’m fairly certain this was made for indoor use. I’m wondering if anyone has seen another one of these signs ? And if so does anybody know how old it is ??? What is this sign worth. Thank you for any help.

-----

our member @dnc1 will likely be able to contribute some solid information here

wonder if there be any meaning in the fact that it shows the heron rather than Sir Wally with his shield & cape

-----

-----

our member @dnc1 will likely be able to contribute some solid information here

wonder if there be any meaning in the fact that it shows the heron rather than Sir Wally with his shield & cape

View attachment 1580555

-----
Sir Walter and 'Raleigh Industries' image dates to 1934 at its earliest , when that iteration of the company was formed; immediately prior to that they were the 'Raleigh Cycle Co. Ltd.' from around 1889 onwards.
This doesn't necessarily mean that your sign is earlier than 1934 though, as 'Raleigh Cycle Co. Ltd.' became one of the two subsidiary companies of 'Raleigh Industries' at that time, along with 'Sturmey Archer Gears Ltd.'
I've not seen that sign before, it could be for the export market in the USA I guess.
Sorry I can't help with a date.
Nice sign though.

Last edited:
Sir Walter and 'Raleigh Industries' image dates to 1934 at its earliest , when that iteration of the company was formed; immediately prior to that they were the 'Raleigh Cycle Co. Ltd.' from around 1889 onwards.
This doesn't necessarily mean that your sign is earlier than 1934 though, as 'Raleigh Cycle Co. Ltd.' became one of the two subsidiary companies of 'Raleigh Industries' at that time, along with 'Sturmey Archer Gears Ltd.'
I've not seen that sign before, it could be for the export market in the USA I guess.
Nice sign though.

I'm wondering if maybe it was something Raleigh USA/Hamilton Osgood during the Boston years had made up. Raleigh USA was on Boylston Street in Boston at one time. I'm wondering if it was something he had imported or even made up locally for shops. Tony Hadland might be the person to ask.

Nice sign though.
Thank you.

Great sign. Inspiration was the front badge? If there is not another one on the CABE, it is rare.

There was a local bike shop with a blow molded light up plastic sign that looked a lot like that sign. It was an oval with the same coloring but made out of plastic with a light inside. It hung in the window there for years.
When they quit selling Raleigh it got put in the back and hung in a small window in the storeroom. The guy said he stuck it there because it lit up that end of the one isle of shelves. I offered to buy it but he said it was falling apart. The plastic had gotten brittle over all the years in the sun.
I seem to remember him saying it was something they gave him when he moved to a different building. There was also a clock with the same pattern, basically a smaller version with a clock works inside. It hung from a chain from the ceiling over one door there in the 70's.

The wood sign could have been either a local sign shop creation or something offered to certain dealers with room to display it. I could see something like that sitting in a store front window in the city.

Back