When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh COLT

-

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Well, this is the first one I've ever had...or seen. And to be honest, when I saw it advertised, I thought it was a Sports with a rear rack (which was the reason I wanted the bike in the first place). It was only when I looked really close to a photo before going the guys house that I saw the COLT decal. But boy, is this bike clean. Following photos are as I brought it home.

He has high end Carbon Fiber Road bikes that he rides, but gets different ones to play with like this one and sell. He said it was in crusty shape and cleaned it up to what you see, so I know he spent time on it. The chain guard is missing, and there's a Schwinn saddle on it, but he gave me the original Brooks (in the first photo). Tires are original, with new tubes, but the rear tire popped out on his test ride. Missing the rear reflector, but I have one.
Also, the 3-speed needs to be adjusted to get the gears to work (which he said he has no clue how to do , this being his first English bike). I checked the hub and saw the bike is from June of 1972, about what I figured as he listed it as 1960 "just guessing" he told me.

So, I'll now work on the paint. Bike is very clean, but I need to see a gloss in the paint that is lacking right now. Fun stuff for me. When I get tires on it and the gears properly fixed, I have to figure out what I'm doing with it. Maybe my wife will ride it a little (and I do mean little). All I really wanted was the rack, figuring I'd keep that and flip the bike. Now, I want to keep it together as it should be. I'll figure something out. Besides, I got a good deal with a little haggling...I only paid $40 for it...:cool:

Here's the 1972 Catalog page...but it's different than my bike. It says that it has a coaster brake and one brake lever. Mine has two brake levers and is not a coaster brake hub. ????

Last edited:
Well, this is the first one I've ever had...or seen. And to be honest, when I saw it advertised, I thought it was a Sports with a rear rack (which was the reason I wanted the bike in the first place). It was only when I looked really close to a photo before going the guys house that I saw the COLT decal. But boy, is this bike clean. Following photos are as I brought it home.

He has high end Carbon Fiber Road bikes that he rides, but gets different ones to play with like this one and sell. He said it was in crusty shape and cleaned it up to what you see, so I know he spent time on it. The chain guard is missing, and there's a Schwinn saddle on it, but he gave me the original Brooks (in the first photo). Tires are original, with new tubes, but the rear tire popped out on his test ride. Missing the rear reflector, but I have one.
Also, the 3-speed needs to be adjusted to get the gears to work (which he said he has no clue how to do , this being his first English bike). I checked the hub and saw the bike is from June of 1972, about what I figured as he listed it as 1960 "just guessing" he told me.

So, I'll now work on the paint. Bike is very clean, but I need to see a gloss in the paint that is lacking right now. Fun stuff for me. When I get tires on it and the gears properly fixed, I have to figure out what I'm doing with it. Maybe my wife will ride it a little (and I do mean little). All I really wanted was the rack, figuring I'd keep that and flip the bike. Now, I want to keep it together as it should be. I'll figure something out. Besides, I got a good deal with a little haggling...I only paid $40 for it...:cool:

View attachment 1258609

View attachment 1258610

View attachment 1258611

View attachment 1258612

View attachment 1258613

View attachment 1258614

View attachment 1258615

View attachment 1258616

View attachment 1258617

View attachment 1258618

View attachment 1258619

View attachment 1258620

View attachment 1258621

View attachment 1258622

View attachment 1258623
With all the money you save buying your bikes, maybe you can build a museum to put them in.

With all the money you save buying your bikes, maybe you can build a museum to put them in.

Lol. That's actually what I call it where most of my bikes are on the third floor of my house. Only about sixteen up there now. Getting to old to carry them up and down to go riding now though. One of the reasons I've been selling some off. Heavier weight bikes and others are in my dry basement.

Very cool, very clean bike! I’ve seen catalog pics but never the real bike, esp in this condition. I’m in the process of selling off some of my prewar ballooners and moving into these classic Brit 3 speeds. Got 7 so far....I might be heading for another spousal collection intervention...

Very cool, very clean bike! I’ve seen catalog pics but never the real bike, esp in this condition. I’m in the process of selling off some of my prewar ballooners and moving into these classic Brit 3 speeds. Got 7 so far....I might be heading for another spousal collection intervention...

Been there, done that, lol...

Let me know if anyone is interested in buying this...but it needs to be picked up here on Long Island. I need to make room!!!!!!

Back