When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh DL-1 28" wheels, S5 hub w/ rod brake

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jim Barnard

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I located a twin shifter designed to attach to the gooseneck and it replaced the top tube shifter I had been using. The top tube shifter mounted directly in the way of my dismount. I used to shift both sticks with my privates as I began to get off the bike, unless I was stopping in an unplanned manner... then damage to all attendees was likely.

This one will work better. I have ridden this bike from Long Island Sound (New London, Connecticut) past the Massachusetts border in Longmeadow. It eats up the road with the 5 speed hub and giant wheels. Rod brakes are good enough unless it happens to rain.

That is a sweet ride! Those shifters are nice. I have a '67 5-speed Sprite with the S5 hub. I like how those work. That must've been a custom addition, eh? What is the date on your hub? My DL-1 is in the batters box for a rehab and detail. Going to do my 62 Sports first. I'll probably do a thread on it in the project bikes section once I get started.

My DL is like a 79 and the S5 is a 69, I think. I have had many S5 hubs and most have been 69s. I have a few 3+2 Raleigh Choppers that use the S5 and love the range. There is as much range as a Huret 10 speed set up.

I wonder if it would be worth trying some different brake pads. There's no feeling like clamping down on wet rims and realizing that they might as well be coated with wet snot.

That's a very good set up if you want period parts and controls that add extra range to the DL-1. The original stick shifts are perfectly reasonable once you get used to how they function, and you get a feel for where the gears are while working the dual sticks. Repairs on the S5 are not overly difficult if you pay attention to detail and keep the manual/diagram handy. Nice bike.

Back