When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Dl-1 Tourist

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SirMike1983

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2016/08/1978-raleigh-dl-1.html

http://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2016/08/1978-raleigh-dl-1-tourist-on-farmington.html

20160830_161610.jpg

A few pictures of the late model DL-1 Tourist (1978). By this time, Raleigh shifted to a modern, seatpost-type reflectors. The shifters had plastic faces, which often cracked or broke, leaving just the metal core. I have replaced the plastic face twice on the original shifter for this bike, and just recently decided to just convert to an earlier, metal shifter. It functions well.

20160830_161643.jpg

The rod brakes remained similar to previous versions and functioned reasonably well, though stopping power was not great. Wet stopping could be improved through leather-faced brake pads, though it was still not very good. The front brakes used the anti-vibration extension arms, which usually were positioned facing backward into the fork. However, these could also be reversed to face front, and you sometimes see them this way. I found that these brakes vibrate less with them facing front, so I use them that way.

Raleigh also had reduced the thickness of the steel used for the rims, those they remained sufficiently heavy-duty to be durable and functional. The decals were of the modern, 1970s-style, though black with gold and red pinstripes remained the basic color scheme.

20160830_161618.jpg

Overall this is very much an early 20th century bicycle with some 1970s-era changes. I think this style of roadster was the "Model T" of the bicycle world. The DL-1 and its relatives from other companies were built in huge quantities and sent all over the world, and even eventually license built in other countries. They provided basic but reliable transportation on almost every continent.

20160830_161631.jpg

20160828_170822.jpg
20160828_170829.jpg

For those of you in the northeast, visit the Farmington River bicycle trail. The trail is recently paved, and offers a quite, scenic ride along the water. The trail is relatively flat and smooth, with connections to local stores and attractions.

Nice bike! I'm surprised there is no white flash on the rear fender. Just about every english racer I've worked on has had that. Good brake pads can make a big difference in stopping a rod brake bike. I ordered a set of Fibrax pads from Harris Cyclery and they actually make the bike stop. The 75 year old originals were useless, and the cheap gray Aisian set worked a little better but I was still scared to ride in traffic. With the Fibrax shoes I even ride it to work. Kool Stop makes pads to fit both the round and tapered holders now too.

I have the 1968 version of the DL-1. It has been completely rebuilt and serviced. I added a two tooth larger rear sprocket for a more leisurely high gear. Brake pads are KoolStop salmon and do a pretty decent job of slowing it down. The Schwalbe tires provide a smooth ride and I wouldn't have used the creme color except for a very good sale price when I bought them. Mine still has the plastic craptastic shifter but I do have a nice early shifter set aside for replacing it when the inclination arises.

I can see a real difference in the build quality of the late sixties bike versus my earlier Brits. Paint quality isn't as good and overall fit isn't quite up to the earlier standards. Still, it is a fun and comfortable bike to ride and rolls surprisingly fast once up to speed plus it has the tonnage to keep it moving.

DL-1.JPG

Nice bike! I'm surprised there is no white flash on the rear fender. Just about every english racer I've worked on has had that. Good brake pads can make a big difference in stopping a rod brake bike. I ordered a set of Fibrax pads from Harris Cyclery and they actually make the bike stop. The 75 year old originals were useless, and the cheap gray Aisian set worked a little better but I was still scared to ride in traffic. With the Fibrax shoes I even ride it to work. Kool Stop makes pads to fit both the round and tapered holders now too.

There was quite a (de)evolution to the rear reflector. In the early 1970s, Raleigh went to the "larger" round rear reflector. US consumer safety rules expanded in the mid-1970s, eventually forcing Raleigh to use a huge, rectangular rear reflector and white stripe by 1977. In the 1978, they opted to fulfill the requirement by dropping the white and fender reflector, and to put a large, plastic modern reflector on the seat stays. This was easily (and often) removed by the consumer when they bought the bike.

1977: massive, rectangular fender reflector

09-77-tourist.jpg

1978: modern reflector clamps to seat stays. Many bikes do something like this today, but on the seat tube.

TH_Raleigh_Cat_78_16_LG.jpg

Thanks for that information! I actually like the rectangular reflectors- there was one on the last Raleigh Sports I worked on, a 1976/77 ladies frame. Interestingly, it had been painted green, and then repainted by the factory root beer brown. An interesting way to adjust inventory.

An excellent find. I acquired a 1974-22 inch frame-which I am fitting out. Shimano makes a Sturmey Archer compatible 23 tooth cog which is great for lowering gears, SRAM made a 24 tooth cog-I was able to find a couple-that is even better. The larger cog requires you to lengthen the chain by links, and a half link is just right for the 24 tooth cog. Mine has an all black rear fender , the reflector was missing, I put a black earlier round style on.
I should introduce myself, I bicycle to work on 3-speeds, have a nice albeit modest collection.

Mine has a 22t rear. I do wish I went with the 24 instead, but 22 is not all that bad. The bike is my "vacation" bike in that it's at my family's place up north and I ride when I visit them. I'd go with the 24 if it was a daily rider.

Apparently Sturmey Archer is starting to make 24 tooth cogs again:

http://brandscycle.com/product/stur...-nLPkrThM2e0_8zffIkHYXrYjQoSWzkOk4aAlzg8P8HAQ

BIke Smith Designs is a source for the SRAM 24 tooth. The SRAM is 3/32, I believe, and the Sturmey is 1/8 inch. The SRAM has the modern profiled teeth (square edge with hard bevel) and the Sturmey (at least the 22t one I recently got) has the traditional teeth. I think the SRAM is a little nicer in the 24t cog, but the Sturmey cogs are certainly not bad.

I bought a Sturmey Archer 24 tooth cog on eBay. With the 48 tooth front sprocket, that's a 2:1 ratio giving me a very comfy 56 inch effective wheel size on my 28 inch Raleigh in the N position. SirMike has talked on his blog about how SA suggested nothing lower than this for their AW hubs. The interesting thing is that anything larger on the rear wheel wouldn't allow the chain guard to fit. It's finally time for a real ride, and not just a test run!

Back