When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh New Project

-

CTony

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello people
I would like to share some photos of my Raleigh I purchased today and would like to hear your comment.And share technical knowledge on making rod brakes work correctly or maybe upgrade brakes.I’m going to add photos. found # on down tube NH7 066332.

75F8DF05-B42E-4F0D-8D6D-1073A65A6380.jpeg

491C7DFB-D341-4AD9-97FA-AB586B7E2D61.jpeg

10AD3FFE-28E2-4F7F-887D-140750DE43BE.jpeg

61545BBA-F918-4987-99B9-37F929E0B8B0.jpeg

1F571812-41C8-4958-97E3-CB9FD6B2476B.jpeg

CC4B4A70-5972-499D-B1BF-CC84AA412F81.jpeg

That's a good find. The hub code is April 1977, so basically a 1977 DL-1. It's nice that it has the white patch on the rear fender. The later ones they sent to the US (I have a 1978) are all-black. It looks like the grips have been swapped and the chain guard is missing. Is there a particular problem you are having with the rod brakes? The brakes are a substantial part of what makes these bikes what they are, so I would try working with the existing brakes rather than trying heavy-duty changes. Maybe cleaning and adjustment will get you where you want to be.

That's a good find. The hub code is April 1977, so basically a 1977 DL-1. It's nice that it has the white patch on the rear fender. The later ones they sent to the US (I have a 1978) are all-black. It looks like the grips have been swapped and the chain guard is missing. Is there a particular problem you are having with the rod brakes? The brakes are a substantial part of what makes these bikes what they are, so I would try working with the existing brakes rather than trying heavy-duty changes. Maybe cleaning and adjustment will get you where you want to be.
Thank you SirMike.Regarding brakes It Seems front brake rod doesn’t allow sharp turns it feels Tight.and they just don’t stop.so I’ve taking everything off to clean and pads need to be replaced.if you noticed in photos of rims the pads marked them pretty good.I’m thinking riding fenderless.Also i would like for head-badge to be more visible.Do you think it’s possible to use only rear brake?

Cool Old bike brake shoes are probably old and hard as rock .
New ones will probably make it stop a lot better .

Fibrax brake shoes specially designed for rod brakes are what you need. You can get them in the US through Harris Cyclery of Yellow Jersey bike shop in Madison WI. I might have a black Raleigh chain guard (no decals) with fittings. If you need one, PM me and I'll look through my parts.

Fibrax brake shoes specially designed for rod brakes are what you need. You can get them in the US through Harris Cyclery of Yellow Jersey bike shop in Madison WI. I might have a black Raleigh chain guard (no decals) with fittings. If you need one, PM me and I'll look through my parts.
Thank you for sharing information on where to purchase brake pads.At this point I’m going to ride with no fenders.Im thinking of using front brake only.Changing out handlebars but still using rod brake on front tire.After searching photos of 1920s bicycles I found a brake handle called Bobby Dodger.Now,im not sure of cost or availability.any idea?Thank you for offering chain guard.the gentleman who sold bike found it.

The shoes on the front brake are on backwards. Go to YouTube and google Gentleman cyclist rod brakes 2009 ABCE and watch as Paul McLeete gives a tutorial on setting up rod brakes.
The three identical bolts that hold the rear seat stays to the frame (2) and the front fender to the fork from the rear (1) are hen’s teeth, and hard to find and replace. On a full chain case model, there is an identical bolt in the crank side lower stay, sometimes a bike without the chain case had the bolt installed in the hole, that you can rob to replace a missing or damaged original, but, usually that is not the case.
Roadster brakes are lame enough that I want two of them on a bike, unless the back is a coaster brake. I’m pretty sure you will decide to try to find a set of fenders, 28” wheels toss a ton of junk up on you when you are rolling along. Those rims are almost impossible to find in good condition.
Good luck. I’m up to 4 Roadsters, really enjoy getting them on the road.
Ted

Last edited:
The shoes on the front brake are on backwards. Go to YouTube and google Gentleman cyclist rod brakes 2009 ABCE and watch as Paul McLeete gives a tutorial on setting up rod brakes.
The three identical bolts that hold the rear seat stays to the frame (2) and the front fender to the fork from the rear (1) are hen’s teeth, and hard to find and replace. On a full chain case model, there is an identical bolt in the crank side lower stay, sometimes a bike without the chain case had the bolt installed in the hole, that you can rob to replace a missing or damaged original, but, usually that is not the case.
Roadster brakes are lame enough that I want two of them on a bike, unless the back is a coaster brake. I’m pretty sure you will decide to try to find a set of fenders, 28” wheels toss a ton of junk up on you when you are rolling along. Those rims are almost impossible to find in good condition.
Good luck. I’m up to 4 Roadsters, really enjoy getting them on the road.
Ted
FICHT Thank You I’ve been searching the web for information on parts ideas and I came a topic about DL 1 Raleigh brakes installed incorrectly but no video was offere.but article mentioned metal tab end of pad should be face a certain way my pad housing don’t have that end tab.I will watch video.i but i like idea of Bobby dodger brake handle.

Back