When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Record Shifting Woes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wrongway

I live for the CABE
I know this isn't very old, but maybe someone could help before I take this to a bike shop. I bought this '75 Raleigh Record off of a guy on eBay. He converted it over to new mechanicals. It has click shifters. I'm sure they're called something else. The rear works fine, but the front does not. The front is still the stock Raleigh derailleur. It can be shifted while in the bike stand or standing still on the ground, but when pedaling down the road it refuses to. What an I missing?

Probably not enough pull with the click shifter when chain is in action. Need to adjust the cable maybe?

the "click" rear is called indexing, c. late '80s.
I can get my bike perfectly tuned on the bike stand, get out on the road, and it won't reach a gear I had just adjusted it to shift (all friction).
My recommendation is open the adjusting screw wider so the FD is moving the chain farther in the direction it's not working for you on the road.
While you're supposed to adjust the inside ring while your chain is on the inside cog, outside ring on the outside cog, I've found it's usually around the middle cog where you may find you need more.
Great idea to take your tools on the road so you can make those adjustments
this, '57 Raleigh frame with '70s Raleigh derailleurs.
qO7YH2G.jpg

Last edited:
On the front derailleur there are two limiting screws that keep the chain cage from moving to far and throwing the chain. One marked H and one marked L. The H keeps it from dropping off the big ring and the L keeps it from dropping of the inner ring. Try backing the H screw off a turn or so.

Actually, make that a 1/4 turn to start with and see how it goes. Also, make sure the out part of the chain cage it straight in line with the chain ring.

It looks like I'll have to either keep fiddling with it or hand it over to the LBS. I don't have much time as the big ride is coming up on June 15th and I'm busy in between. :( Is it possible that the Index Shifting (thanks Bulldog) doesn't play well with the friction shifting? I'll be on a mostly flat trail so I can get by with only 7 speeds, but having the high side might be nice if I get sporty!

Does it have a barrel adjuster on it for the front derailleur? If not, you can get a inline barrel adjuster at your local shop. That will make it much easier to fine turn your cable pull.

-----

hello wrongway,

please keep in mind that "clicking" does not necessarily indicate indexing.

for example, Suntour ratchet shifters "click" but are still "friction" in the sense that they are not indexed.

readers would be able to give more to the point advice if you could provide photo(s) of the cycle's drive train.

IIRC the OEM front mech on the 1975 model Record was a Huret model 700.

here is the 1975 catalogue page for the Record -

1975 Raleigh Record  catalogue page .jpg

note that the text states "Simplex Prestige gears" yet cycle in the photo is wearing a Huret model 700 front mech paired with Huret stem controls. only the rear mech is Simplex.
-----

Does it have a barrel adjuster on it for the front derailleur? If not, you can get a inline barrel adjuster at your local shop. That will make it much easier to fine turn your cable pull.
The cables do have what I would call barrel adjusters up on the downtube.

Back