When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Road Bike That Has Me Somewhat Stumped..

-

Chad H

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello All,
Received this frame/original fork as part of a "let's swap stuff" from a long time bicycle industry buddy (he got a sweet 87 Bianchi Trofeo).
The serial # indicates it's a Nottingham produced frame (W) made in November (P), 19XX? Cannot figure out the year and intended model.
A lot of frames are made for potential teams, warranties and individual frame/fork sales and my contacts at Raleigh US (Alta) and the UK are stumped. Any clue from this knowledgeable crowd?
The frame is Reynolds 531c, Gipiemme drop outs, no stamping top of seat stays and a unique decal set.
Have the original fork but it was slightly bent. I could straighten it (have access to frame/fork alignment table from years in a frame shop) but rather ride a weakened fork bought one by my neighbor and Seattle legendary builder Micheal O'Brien. Opted for Columbus tubing since desired a stiffer fork than 531 in the corners. Put a lot of miles commuting to work on this thing in the warm months when it's not fender season.
Built with a 6400, compact bend drops (comfort) and yes, that's a sweet Rhode Gear Flickstand on the downtube.
Hot tip for old parts still in packaging - Harvey's Bike Shop in Lynnwood Washington. Really old school (like whatsa web site?), it's like visiting a J&B warehouse straight out of the 70's, 80's and 90's. Belt beacons, Nice Lite!, bumblebee bells, neon zefals - it's wonderful. I make a point to go there after mountain biking and it's like being in a bike dork candy store. Tons of vintage bikes/parts crammed in that place.
Anyhow......thank you for any heads up on this Raleigh "what's it model/year" bicycle.
Stay safe and ride lots, Chad

ral red.jpg

ral2.jpg

ral3.jpg

ral4.jpg

ral5.jpg

ral fork.jpg

ral6.jpg

I'm not a Raleigh or Reynolds expert, but the 531c designation means tubes are butted 531 (not HT or stays).
See below #11 & 12
This tubing transfer was used late '80s and maybe into the '90s.
Reynolds tubing transfers.jpg

Thanks. Man I want that Reynolds info as a shop poster. I collect freewheel cog boards with all the "this goes with that" breakdowns. My first bike shop job I tackled keeping all of those fully stocked

Looks like a 1987 or 1988 "531 frameset" - basically a production Team Pro replica that was not built by the SBDU division.

It's not far removed from the same offering in the '86 catalog, though by '87, they had fitted the replicas with seatstay caps that look like the SBDUs instead of the garish "RALEIGH" caps used on everything else.

1986raleighcat_usa_05_lg.jpg

Out of curiosity, what's the full serial?

-Kurt

So it's some the paint job of the 753 frameset minus the fancy 753 and downtube decals and painted black headtube - kinda a mutt. The black seat/chain stays mean "business" for bikes of that era like my 1987 Bianchi X4 Argentin (now thatsa special bike!).
Hey Kurt, the serial # is WP7001060.
A lot of times brands will do runs of bikes to cover future warranty claims.
I rock a Clubman Carbon in black as my fender commuter while the production color is a sky blue.
Also have a non-stock color of a Willard, Preston and the only Webster in North America in the garage. Raleigh North America is a good place to source frames/bikes when they do their friends and family blow out sale.

So it's some the paint job of the 753 frameset minus the fancy 753 and downtube decals and painted black headtube - kinda a mutt. The black seat/chain stays mean "business" for bikes of that era like my 1987 Bianchi X4 Argentin (now thatsa special bike!).
Hey Kurt, the serial # is WP7001060.
A lot of times brands will do runs of bikes to cover future warranty claims.
I rock a Clubman Carbon in black as my fender commuter while the production color is a sky blue.
Also have a non-stock color of a Willard, Preston and the only Webster in North America in the garage. Raleigh North America is a good place to source frames/bikes when they do their friends and family blow out sale.

The all-red 531 frameset was a 1986 thing only. The red/black is standard faire for 1987, and it was in '84/85 too (albeit with different decals and significantly different frame details).

"WP7..." would definitely correlate '87. Also, here's an identical (except for frame size) '87 on Flickr:

-Kurt

Thank you kindly Kurt. Plan to log many more miles on this lovely road bike.
I deal with plastic road bikes with electronic shifting / hydro braking all day so it's a breath of fresh air.
Ride safe, Chad

Back