When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Rod Brake Have Value?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Schwinny

I live for the CABE
This is at my local bike salvage yard and never seeing one in person I thought it pretty cool.
The 3spd hub says its a 1980.
Do these have a following?
Are they rare-ish?
Anyone need parts?
Its in pretty good condition

Pull it from the salvage yard if you have the space to store it. The bike itself is not high value, but it looks complete and some of the parts do have some value to them. The saddle is swapped, but the wheels, pump, rod brake parts, handle bars, etc have value.

Its been maintained by them and is on their complete/ good bikes sale row. $90 is the current price, it started at $100 but the longer it sits, the lower the price will go.

I have I have a 1974 model I like to ride for strength training. At 50 lbs it's a honking beast. I just picked another up for fifty bucks from the local co-op, that one I'll fix up and move on when I get time. They tend to go for a couple of hundred dollars in this area in good shape..

These bikes actually give a stately ride due to the 28” wheels and relaxed frame geometry. The weak link, and also what makes them unique is the Rube Goldberg rod brake contraptions. Even when well adjusted they are not great and in wet weather cans be downright dangerous. Better shoes like Fiberax can help. This being said, I now have 8 rod brake Brit bikes, and am beyond charmed by their quirky eccentricity and truly unique riding experience. Here is a “Jack and Jill” set of 1974 Raleigh DL-1 Tourists I got from the original owners. They needed a complete refurb, but are valued members of my stable. Try not to objectively monetize the value of these bikes. This is a hobby and about enjoyment, satisfaction and happiness. If you get a happy feeling, buy it. Life’s too short to weigh value against worth when it involves your happiness!

These bikes actually give a stately ride due to the 28” wheels and relaxed frame geometry. The weak link, and also what makes them unique is the Rube Goldberg rod brake contraptions. Even when well adjusted they are not great and in wet weather cans be downright dangerous. Better shoes like Fiberax can help. This being said, I now have 8 rod brake Brit bikes, and am beyond charmed by their quirky eccentricity and truly unique riding experience. Here is a “Jack and Jill” set of 1974 Raleigh DL-1 Tourists I got from the original owners. They needed a complete refurb, but are valued members of my stable. Try not to objectively monetize the value of these bikes. This is a hobby and about enjoyment, satisfaction and happiness. If you get a happy feeling, buy it. Life’s too short to weigh value against worth when it involves your happiness!
View attachment 1418699

View attachment 1418700
You're right, And Im happy to leave it where its is, Im afraid that being that the salvage yard is in service to mainly ASU students and vagabonds, this bike will probably sit there until they disassemble it for parts. But if someone needed parts because they like these, I'd also be happy to objectify an object and get parts for them. Good word, object. In the end, that's all they really are. I wont die with a bunch of bikes taking up space for someone else who doesn't appreciate them to fret over. That's why I limit myself to two bikes. One rider, one building up. All else is on a banana peel to people that need parts for the bikes they like, people that want a cool bike or the scrap heap. I do keep an S load of random parts though.
Those are a couple of nice ones you've got there. I always appreciate a well kept bike and the people that have them.
Thanks !! :)

I have four DL1 Roadsters. $90 is about the top I would pay for one that needed service, chain, new tires and brake pads. That would be if I needed one, and, I sure don’t. Last pair of his and hers I gave $50 each for. Parts aren’t common, but, don’t seem to sell for a ton when they turn up.
That bike is about a 1981, based on the fillet chainguard, and the lamp bracket without the bird, and a hole for a reflector. A Brooks B72 is the correct seat for that model bike. If you give it everything it needs, parts wise, you will likely have more into it then it is worth.
I rode my early 80s DL1 on the last Lake Pepin 3 speed Tour, after I converted it to 5 speed. My son rode his DL1, a 1969, with the 8” crank arms, and 48 tooth front sprocket (1965-1969 or so, the rest are 7” with a 46 tooth) but, it did get a 20 tooth rear.
Ted

05383D3A-832E-463E-8BB7-0531DED438B2.jpeg

EA665895-5000-4714-AC10-D1F05BDDECB8.jpeg

I have four DL1 Roadsters. $90 is about the top I would pay for one that needed service, chain, new tires and brake pads. That would be if I needed one, and, I sure don’t. Last pair of his and hers I gave $50 each for. Parts aren’t common, but, don’t seem to sell for a ton when they turn up.
That bike is about a 1981, based on the fillet chainguard, and the lamp bracket without the bird, and a hole for a reflector. A Brooks B72 is the correct seat for that model bike. If you give it everything it needs, parts wise, you will likely have more into it then it is worth.
I rode my early 80s DL1 on the last Lake Pepin 3 speed Tour, after I converted it to 5 speed. My son rode his DL1, a 1969, with the 8” crank arms, and 48 tooth front sprocket (1965-1969 or so, the rest are 7” with a 46 tooth) but, it did get a 20 tooth rear.
Ted

View attachment 1418705

View attachment 1418706
Beautiful bikes!! Love that you and your son are sharing the esperience of riding these together on a long tour. Memories on bikes-None finer!!

Back