When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Rod Brake Have Value?

-
Just came across this picture.

I liked my 1976 22" so much I bought another, a 1978. Biggest drawback to the Dl-1 is the rear facing dropouts require chain tensioners, repairing a flat is much more of a production, having a master link is a must. Yes they have a different feel to them-which is quite enjoyable IMHO.

Apparently these also came in a coaster brake model...not just a 3-speed. Saw one recently near me, but not in a catalog. I didn't think they existed, and this one was a late 70's men's model.

I liked my 1976 22" so much I bought another, a 1978. Biggest drawback to the Dl-1 is the rear facing dropouts require chain tensioners, repairing a flat is much more of a production, having a master link is a must. Yes they have a different feel to them-which is quite enjoyable IMHO.

That's one reason why Schwinn went to the rear fork end that's actually named a drop out. The rear wheel just drops out after loosening the axle nuts.

Another DL-1 roadster owner here, mine is a 1972 men's 24" frame. The catalog claimed a 22" frame also, but they're very rare. If you needed that short a frame, you'd normally buy a 23-1/2" frame Raleigh Sports instead. My old boss as A.R. Adams Cycle in Erie, PA was a huge believe in these bikes.

Mine is a daily rider, actually my main commuter bike (I will split the duties between it and my '69 Raleigh Sprite w/Sturmey-Archer S5) and I absolutely love it. I have no problems whatsoever doing the eight mile round trip to either of the two more distant shopping malls from my house, and will happily use it for the fourteen mile round trip into downtown Ashland, VA. Comfortable, stately, and an absolute joy to ride. As mentioned above, the brakes are the weak point, I've gotten around them as best I can by using Cool Stop pads. They're not an answer, but they help

The other weakness of the bike is that you do not want to be miles from home and catch a puncture. This is not a bike that you try to patch/change a tube along the side of the road.

IMG_0458.JPG

Of course, once you've had one, you can't stop there. Two years ago I picked up a Chinese Flying Pigeon which turned out to be unrideable until I swapped the wheels out for a set of DL-1 wheels and converted it over to a three speed. It's now rideable, but the difference between the Chinese licensed copy and the British original is frightening. (The first picture is prior to the conversion, I had to discard the rear carrier and stand because the SA hub didn't have a long enough axle.)

IMG_0175.jpeg

IMG_0322.jpeg

The other roadster I've had was the most sorrowful cycling experience of my life: A 1938 Humber ladies frame that I was restoring for a WWII reenactment group (British Women's Land Army) that unfortunately was in my shop the night it burned to the ground. Picture are before and after.

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0074.jpeg

Yes they do have a following.They usually get around $350 for a really nice one.I think they ride nicely .I usually grab them when one comes up for sale at the right price. I got this nearly mint one out of a dumpster.Still had the paperwork in the little bag behind seat.........

I can’t believe how many of these bikes I see with the damn front brake pads on BACKWARD! A video, from the 2006 ABCE, with explanation, by Paul McKleet, last surviving founding member of the Blind Lizard motorcycle/bicycle club.

The Schwalbe Marathon 28” tires are excellent road tires, and very puncture resistant. That said, the wheel is so big that you can usually leave it on the bike, pull one side of the tire off, pull the tube out, and patch it in place.
Don’t ask me how I know that.

Ted

Last edited:
Yes they do have a following.They usually get around $350 for a really nice one.I think they ride nicely .I usually grab them when one comes up for sale at the right price. I got this nearly mint one out of a dumpster.Still had the paperwork in the little bag behind seat.........

View attachment 1502062

Boy, did you just bring some memories back . . . . I can't remember the last time I've seen one of those instruction sheets. Probably not since I left Adams Cycle in '75.

Back