When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Rodeo question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jim Barnard

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Bought this reverse color scheme 66 Rodeo pair from the family of the brothers who owned them from new. I assumed that the large goofy stick shifters that have been on every Rodeo I have owned were AWOL and replaced by triggers at some time in the past. BUT, I can find no tell tale marks on the twin top tubes where the shifters would have been.
IMG_6586[1].JPG

The triggers on the bars are 60's vintage and weathered in line with the other parts and cables (at least on the chrome one). Even the galvanized cable clips look like Raleigh clips. Is it possible the early Rodeo bikes had trigger shifters on the 3 speeds?

IMG_6584[1].JPG

IMG_6585[1].JPG

I do not want to put stick shifters on these if they did not have them from the factory. (Even though I have one of the shifters and prefer the look.) These are honest originals with a cool history and I want to keep them that way. I even had to promise not to separate them when I bought the pair.

Let's hear from my Rodeo experts.

GREAT quality chrome and paint that was typical of British bikes until 1972 or so. It was a pleasure to clean this one up.
IMG_6599[1].JPG

I assume these to be 1967 bikes with a S/A hub date of 10-66.

IMG_6603[1].JPG

Luckily I had new cables, tires, similar seat and various Wentworth fasteners sitting around the parts bins.
IMG_6600[1].JPG

These ride as good as the Schwinn Fastback models.

IMG_6598[1].JPG

Hey... is that a Persons high loop sissy bar? Sure looks like it!

I can't wait to get the other one finished up and see what they look like side by side.

Wow Jim those are pretty neat! I'm not a Raleigh expert, but I've never seen the reverse paint scheme with the chrome frame. That one is very cool.

I dig that they were brothers bikes and are the reverse of each other, what a great story.

Very cool bikes. Nice clean up. For chrome clean up I recommend using fine bronze wool as it does not produce fine scratches like steel wool can. I usually buy online from Home Depot and have them free ship to local store.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-Fine-Bronze-Wool-Pads-3-Pack-123100/100185012?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D29A|Multi|NA|PLA|Major-Appliances|Special-Buys|71700000032418849|58700003842365800|92700030987191770&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkpH5mLLj3gIVz8DACh1L3ArtEAQYASABEgI5o_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wow Jim those are pretty neat! I'm not a Raleigh expert, but I've never seen the reverse paint scheme with the chrome frame. That one is very cool.

I dig that they were brothers bikes and are the reverse of each other, what a great story.
Thanks Rob!

The red one is done!
IMG_6685[1].JPG

The seat split in 2 places as I cleaned it. (The chrome bike's seat self destructed when I cleaned that one) Cool to see a Persons seat with a Raleigh tag.

IMG_6684[1].JPG

Decals held up well.

IMG_6686[1].JPG

The triggers are correct for the 3sp AWT models in 67. (Thanks Tinslate)

IMG_6682[1].JPG

So... was I tempted to assemble a completely chrome one? Youbetcha.
IMG_6691[1].JPG

Kind of plays tricks on your eyes.

IMG_6687[1].JPG

Back