When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Sprite 10 Speed...Just Got It

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Super Deal on this, and I'll assume at this point that the bike is 1975, so if anyone else knows better, just let me know. Another Facebook deal as it was listed a couple of hours before I had seen it.
This comes with a Huret odometer showing only 31 miles, which I believe might be true because any wear looks like from being moved around from place to place. Tires are toasted from being dried out, so that will need to be done. The rest will be the usual.

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

I should be finishing up on the 1951 Schwinn Hornet I'm working on, but I wanted to start this one. 🤪

I really believe that the bike only does have 31 original miles on it. Check out the underside of the front fender (I only wiped it with Windex and a paper towel) and the brake pads! I'm in the process of loosening up the frozen speedo now. After soaking a bit in WD-40, it now revolves about a 3/4 turn. And the dry rot tires have tubes that are still hgolding air after pumping them up a few days ago. 😀

Last edited:
-----

the drive units and cables on this Huret cyclometer can sometimes give difficulty

if your accessory in good working nick count yourself fortunate...

-----

Cleaned up nicely. Tubes hold air, and the tires still have the nubs on the tread, so I guess 31 miles is correct. To bad all the scrapes and scratches are from being moved from place to place over the decades.

Cable end that goes into the Huret head looks like it was broken off, so maybe that's what was binding it??

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

Harpo:
Nice. Love the red paint. One observation, which is a pet peeve. The Pletscher rear rack appears to have been mounted without the "T" bracket between the rack bolts and the brake bolt. This is often left out because doing it right requires the extra step of removing the brake and it looks like the rack will work without it. The result is that the front of the rack slides down the seat stays and scratches them up (see photo of the back of the saddle in "cleaned up" set of pics above). I suggest installing a "T" bracket and leveling up the rack. Also, wrap the seat stays with vinyl tape (available in red) where the rack clamps on them prevent further abrasion. Two brackets are shown below, one "stock" and one made in the basement from aluminum. Have fun!

Thanks @AndyA !!

I bought the bike with intentions of possibly as just a parts bike. Saddle...Grips...Pedals...Odometer. But since it cleaned up nicely, I might just flip it to someone here on Long Island who would like it as a whole. 🙂

HARPO, you are the best of the best!
I really enjoy all of your nice finds and your incredible ability to clean and detail them to perfection.
It is really cool to see whatever bike that you work your magic on.

Too many people overlook, women's bikes and simply only treat them as parts bikes. Derailleur geared tourist style lightweights with the easy to mount & easy to dismount from lower Women's step through bar, do make extremely practical ADULT CRUISER bicycles, especially if it is a medium or large women's frame. Nearly everyone seeking such a practical, go anywhere cruiser would be extremely proud to own such a beautiful, perfectly detailed bike that appears like it time traveled straight from out of the early Seventies. Your recent other thread on the Campus Green oct '73 Schwinn Collegiate is more of the same incredible work that you do. If those do pass through to new owners, you should reasonably able to get top-dollar for them comparatively speaking because they are certainly visibly perfect. Those bikes are nice riders and are relatively simple.
I wonder if motion picture and television production teams scout out for period bicycles as they do for automobiles. I know this because I have an old pal of mine that has been hiring out his classic car and he at the same time gets hired as an EXTRA since he drives the car to the filming shoot location and stays with the car. Leasing of the car for the film shoot earns a lot more than the very tiny $15 per hour that the Human gets as an Extra. Both he and his car have been on TV, Film & Netflix in the past several years. As I understand it, the movie, television, netflix vehicle wranglers DO NOT WANT white, red, silver, gray, or black cars, with reds and whites as definite NO. They also want the vehicle to look like such a vehicle would at that point in time. This means that custom paint that is better than factory paint is definite NO, and large aftermarket wheels and tires are a NO, and no custom window tint or window decals, etc that did not exist in that era. The TV, Film & Netflix folks also DO NOT WANT MUSCLECARS. They want ordinary basic models that have mostly disappeared. One guy has a tan/beige 1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle which looks bone stock. It doesn't look perfect with perfect flawless paint but it looks like a nice VW that might be three or four years old at the most. He told me that he has been in 16 different film/tv/netflix shows in the past several years. He said in 2020 covid-19 protocol required him to get the poke up the nose thing at least daily and three or more consecutive tests of NO before allowed on or near the set. Even with proof of vaccines, he got both Modena shots in early 2021, the film sets have an extremely rigid Covid-19 protocol. He laughs and says that it is the safest place and that is good.
They have to do that because of the enormous cost that it would be to shut-down filming and then to resume again later. It would wreck the budget completely. There are also some other fellows that have a few basic domestic POS cars that get leased often as "Detective Cars" in these film/tv/Netflix shoots. Green, Brown, Tan , 1971-1972 big full size FORD LTD, and other GREEN, BROWN, TAN '72 AMC AMBASSADOR,. I'm told that because FORD had a better record of ownership costs and better overall durability than any of the other big 3 and little AMC. FORDS were most often the choice for municipal and state agencies from about 1966 to 1976 because of better durability, and operating costs. One guy trailers these POS cars which look the part but barely run...they run well enough to move them off the trailer and to the parked location position but they could not be relied upon to commute one day's 15 mile drive to work. These are all basic four door cars that look the part of a detective's car, or stakeout car of that time period, so it looks original and the interior, exterior, wheels, and hubcaps or wheelcovers are original. It only has to run just well enough to position the car for the filming. Now certainly, if the film car is to be driven, then yep, it needs to be vetted and inspected as reliable, but if it is driven as part of the filmed action or scene, then the car lease fee goes up considerably. These film/tv/Netflix shoots with the I know folks who are extras and provide cars are in the Metro Atlanta area.
I would imagine that the film set crew production people have the appropriate period props including bicycles, tennis racquets, eight track tapes, ghetto blasters, just like that they have folks that collect, manage, vintage clothing and stylists who decide then outfit the extras in this attire. Extras and cast do not get to keep the outfit that they are provided with as it goes back to wardrobe department.

I don't know what I'm saying but I wouldn't find it too far fetched to see something like HARPO's TIME CAPSULE BICYCLES: If you need something that looks straight outta whatever year, for your FILM SHOOT, TV SERIES PRODUCTION, ADVERTISING-MARKETING AD CAMPAIGN we've got it..... Just want the absolute most beautiful best time capsule bicycle that you can find, HARPO's has it. call 347-XHA-RPOS.......... When You Absolutely Need The Best, HARPO'S has it.
Remember that HARPO'S is the best, so forget about all of the rest, Call HARPO'S Today.

Back