When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Sprite 27...Just Got It

-

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I picked this one up late yesterday afternoon fro a guy that only bought and rode English bicycles. He kept them pretty clean, as you can see, which will make my job that much easier. I used a brass brush quickly in a very bad looking area on one of the rims that I figured was toast (AFTER I took these photos)...but typical early English chrome, it came right off! 😛

He also gave me a 26'' wheel with a Dynohub on it with petrified tires. He said he didn't need it, and figured maybe somewhere down the line I could use it. Very nice gentleman (72 year old retired school teacher he told me). I have a rear rack for it, so that will be added when I get around to doing the bike.

Anyone have an idea as to the year? I figure late 60's due to the decals and brake levers. Chain guard should be a giveaway, but I can't find the same one in a Catalog.
In the meantime, enjoy the photos!

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3416.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

-----

1637505895862.png

here we can see that Sir Wally employed the same frame to build models with two plateau drive trains such as the Record

1637506567526.png

Raleigh quality - note that even on a model as relatively modest as the Sprite 27 the frame receives a Vagner forged crown rather than one of stamped and welded sheet. this example is model DP -

some other producers would continue to employ welded crowns on models above the level of the Sprite 27

1637507022051.png

you enquired with respect to dating. the cycle's Huret Allvit model 1900 rear mech is a possible dating aid. the red plastic "tyres" on the pulleys came in during the later 1960's. you could check a Huret timeline for the exact year. the Allvit model enjoyed quite a long production life with multiple periods/generations....

---

shall look forward to following along as you work with the new arrival; no doubt you will have it looking showroom in no time at all! 😁

-----

@juvela I was wondering what that piece was sticking out that appeared to be able to have a cable going through it. I've never had a Raleigh with it...or ever saw one before.

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 5.03.03 PM.png

@juvela I was wondering what that piece was sticking out that appeared to be able to have a cable going through it. I've never had a Raleigh with it...or ever saw one before.

IMG_3001.jpg

Apologies for jumping in here uninvited. I have a Sprite with a similar cable housing stop brazed on at the same spot. I got mine just as a frame, and there are no definitive marks from a front derailleur, yet I think that's what it's for. I see some Sprites online with front derailleurs too.

@atilly No apologies!!! This is how we all learn things.

Is your Sprite a 10 speed? And @juvela I just noticed that the ladies 10 speed Sprite I have has it on for the cables. DOH!! 😳 To many bikes to remember everything, but this one was glaring at me...🤪...and oh so obvious.. It's a bit different in shape, but the same thing.

-----

had wished to mark up the photo of the bottom bracket area in me post to circle the housing stop

was unable to locate the picture markup tool on my turing thingus however

ham-fisted computer user here

everything got well sorted in due course ... 😉

looking forward to your "I am done." images - know she'll be a knockout 😃

-----

@atilly No apologies!!! This is how we all learn things.

Is your Sprite a 10 speed? And @juvela I just noticed that the ladies 10 speed Sprite I have has it on for the cables. DOH!! 😳 To many bikes to remember everything, but this one was glaring at me...🤪...and oh so obvious.. It's a bit different in shape, but the same thing.
Long story... No she's a 3spd. I hijacked the braze-on cable stop to route, of all things, a Sturmey-Archer drum brake hub.

Back