When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Sprite rear wheel

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

CTony

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello I would like to replace my original 5sp rear derailleur wheel with a S/A 3sp rear wheel.Would i have any issues with this swap?Ipickup a parts bike Phillips brand.Rear wheel has a S/A 3sp coaster brake year 64.Thank you.

Any issues will relate to the spacing of your Raleigh's rear dropouts and the OLD measurement ("Over Lock Nut Dimension") of the proposed Sturmey rear hub.
The "OLD" is basically the internal spacing/ measurement between the dropouts on the frame on the donor bike.

The only other potential issue could be chain alignment.

Most old-style Sturmey-Archer hub installations are around 114 mm spacing. Beware also that the axle length may matter in your installation. Sturmey AWs from the common, post-war era are usually 5-3/4 inches or 6-1/4 inches, though other variations exist. The longer size will generally work on something like a larger 120 mm frame, just add spacers to fill up the space. You begin to run out of axle if you go much beyond 120mm, considering a standard gauge dropout.

-----

have you considered wheel size?

usually a Sprite with derailleur gearing will have 27" wheels and one with planetary will be fitted with 26"

do you plan to search for or build a 27" planetary?

-----

So The first photo is original rear wheel.Third photo shows replacement Raleigh wheel both are 26x1 3/8.Third is a mock up and the fourth just showing you in need cleaning.Thank Everyone

BC0D5568-E597-496C-95C6-EE25954DB075.jpeg

D58ECB37-99CD-47E9-825F-4BD285CF6929.jpeg

251BECCC-ED33-408A-B9D7-88ADF3166C24.jpeg

E84D59C5-F5F3-4FEA-A3E5-BF7988029FB7.jpeg

It looks to me as if the wheel will fit alright. It's possible the frame is just a Raleigh Sports style frame. I know my internal hub S5 Sprite was just a Sports frame. Wasn't sure about the derailleur 26 inch wheel type, but maybe it's all just a Sports frame. Chain line can be adjust using the spacers and dishing on the rear cog. You can pop the O-shaped spring clip off the hub driver, and then you'll find a cog and a couple of ring spacers. You can set the spacers and dishing for the chain line you want. If you want to get precise, you can use a laser tool or something similar to set the chain line. But I just use a straight edge and eyeball, check where the teeth track in the chain and check how smoothly the system runs.

Back