When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Super Lenton age 1956?

-

Nuts and Bolts

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Is this right for the number stamped top seat tube. Thanks in advance!
IMG_4532.jpg

-----

in case you have not as yet found it there is a wonderful resource here -

-----

-----

in case you have not as yet found it there is a wonderful resource here -

-----
Thanks for the link, I'm still trying to figure it out. I read on an older post that the paint scheme is from the early 60's but parts look older, Brooks B72 saddle, Campagnolo Gran Sport derailleur, rear hub looks like a date stamp of 1953?

IMG_4531.jpg

IMG_4558.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4553.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4555.jpg

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4547.jpg

IMG_4545.jpg

IMG_4544.jpg

IMG_4542.jpg

IMG_4541.jpg

-----

thanks very much for these good images

they should help readers to help you

the seven year difference in date markings on the hubs suggests that one or the other is a replacement

are the wheel rims a match for each other?

sometimes the cantles of Brooks saddles are marked with a date but none here unfortunately

there are several generations of Campagnolo Gran Sport rear gear mechs

you could compare the one on the cycle to the ones shown at velobase.com in order to bracket the dating - assuming of course that the mech is original to the cycle...

the gear block appears to be a four speed - is it a Cyclo perchance?

that terrific bipod propstand looks to be a Shuresta

the forum's Raleigh experts will be along shortly with plenty of good help for you 😉

-----

The Dynohub is dated Dec. 1960, which matches the paint, but the rear hub looks like March (3rd month) of 195(4?), so I don't think these parts all came on the bike new, some were added later. The shifter looks early to mid-'50's as well, so I'm guessing it came with the rear hub. But it's an interesting bike in any case. I think that's the first Raleigh Lenton I've seen with a drum rear brake, or a Campagnolo derailleur either. The hybrid gearing may have been a factory option, but the factory would have more likely used a Cyclo/Benelux. Even though I'm guessing it wasn't built like this from the factory, it was built by somebody who was particular about what they wanted. Nice bike!
This may be the thread you were referring to, another nice Raleigh with hybrid gears, but I believe "Lenton" refers to a frame, not the drive. Does your frame actually say "Lenton"?

Last edited:
Really cool machine! I would have to agree that the rear hub stamp appears to be 54 3.
I love the paint. That color will pop with a nice cleaning, polish and wax.
I would think this is likely either a bike shop build or an amateur build. Either way very neat.
Drum brake, dual drive, lights, rack. What doesn't this bike have, besides a 23" frame I guess...

Edit: Does anyone else think the forks looks bent backwards? Maybe front end collision?

Last edited:
I would love to see some more pictures. Can you post more shots of the frame including any decals? The white frame darts would be found on a '61 - '62 as well as the down tube transfer however the examples that I've seen had the white headtube. I'm no expert though.

The 'RA' suffix puts the frame into the 1955-64 date range according to @juvela's link above.
Which kind of suggests that the rear wheel may be a replacement, rather than the front; which kind of ties in with your earlier remark re. the paintwork.
There's nothing akin to that paintwork in the 1954 catalogue and those chrome mudguards/chainguard look more early to mid 1960's to me.
'Lenton' model frames were of 'Reynolds 531' tubing and didn't have chainguards, or mudguards of that style.

Here's the 1956 catalogue image.....
Screenshot_20220207-193437_Chrome.jpg

...and the spec. sheet (Model 27).....
Screenshot_20220207-193519_Chrome.jpg

...note the 27" wheels.

I think yours is more akin to a 'Sports Tourist' model, or a 'Trent Sports'.

That type of hybrid gearing is probably the work of a previous owner/bike shop as mentioned by @3-speeder.
A fairly common upgrade option for which 'kits' were readily available off the shelf or via mail order during that period.
(Images from V-CC library).

Oh, and what is that thing on the seat tube about 1/3 of the way down from the top?
It looks like part of a 'dry battery tube', which would tie in with that dynohub.

Oh, and what is that thing on the seat tube about 1/3 of the way down from the top?
It looks like part of a 'dry battery tube', which would tie in with that dynohub.

-----

that be what oye wuz guessin'...but then oye doona ha' your knowledge o' these matters... 😉

thanks very much for these contribution to the textile

-----

Back