When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Super Lenton age 1956?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

Really cool machine! I would have to agree that the rear hub stamp appears to be 54 3.
I love the paint. That color will pop with a nice cleaning, polish and wax.
I would think this is likely either a bike shop build or an amateur build. Either way very neat.
Dual drum brakes, dual drive, lights, rack. What doesn't this bike have, besides a 23" frame I guess...

Edit: Does anyone else think the forks looks bent backwards? Maybe front end collision?

-----

in this image of the complete machine as seen from the drive side the fork is turned a very few degrees to the left of centre

it is possible this may be the source of what you are seeing -

1644265301470.png

also the angle of the image is not quite perpendicular to the cycle, with the rear wheel closer to the camera than the front

-----

Thank you for the additional images. Great job! This is a new one to me. I love it.

-----

fine job with the additional imagery! 😉

readers shall be able to advise as to where to purchase replacements for the bicycle's Dare brand handgrips

suspect colour match might be a challenge...

---

was wrong as usual on me propstand guess

Trygg propstands are a product made in Sweden

should probably discipline self to write less! 😧

-----

Last edited:
Well, that proved me wrong!
Thanks for the new images.
I think it's now safe to assume (thanks to the new photos) that this is one of those rare beasts, a genuine 'Super Lenton' lightweight frameset that has somewhat bizarrely been "roadsterised" (for want of a better word) with the addition of a different wheelset, bars, stem, mudguards, chainguard, drivetrain etcetera, etcetera.
This could have been done to special order, or swapped out from another bike, who can say.
But it was obviously put together by someone who preferred the upright style.
I sometimes ride with an older guy who owns a Raleigh that he purchased new in 1948, that now bears little relation to the lightweight, clubman's bike it started it's life as; that's what this reminds me of, a bike loved and appreciated by a long-term owner.

The Dynohub is dated Dec. 1960, which matches the paint, but the rear hub looks like March (3rd month) of 195(4?), so I don't think these parts all came on the bike new, some were added later. The shifter looks early to mid-'50's as well, so I'm guessing it came with the rear hub. But it's an interesting bike in any case. I think that's the first Raleigh Lenton I've seen with a drum rear brake, or a Campagnolo derailleur either. The hybrid gearing may have been a factory option, but the factory would have more likely used a Cyclo/Benelux. Even though I'm guessing it wasn't built like this from the factory, it was built by somebody who was particular about what they wanted. Nice bike!
This may be the thread you were referring to, another nice Raleigh with hybrid gears, but I believe "Lenton" refers to a frame, not the drive. Does your frame actually say "Lenton"?
Here's the thread I was thinking of, https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/raleigh-super-lenton.109327/ The rear hub on mine is dated 53-3 or 63-3. When I bought the bike I was told it was Special and rare? The seller's father had a bike shop for quiet a few years and this was one of a few the family kept.

Back