When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Superbe...Just Got It...

-

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Just picked this up from "1968fury" this afternoon. This will really put my skills to the test, but I just see it as a challenge and another project to keep me busy...very busy! 🤪

Evapo-Rust will really be put to the test, but I have faith in it. Hardest part will be trying to get the bike to at least shift and the Dynohub to function. I'll need to go through my Raleigh parts bin for items to replace those past their life expectancy. 😳

I'll start this in another couple of days, first trying to find out the year on the hub (rusted and greasy). Judging from the double stripes on the seat tube, I'll say early 70's. The earlier ones had four sets of stripes.

Enjoy the barrage of BEFORE photos and wish me luck...😎

IMG_3028.jpeg

IMG_3029.jpeg

IMG_3030.jpeg

IMG_3031.jpeg

IMG_3032.jpeg

IMG_3033.jpeg

IMG_3034.jpeg

IMG_3035.jpeg

IMG_3036.jpeg

IMG_3037.jpeg

IMG_3039.jpeg

IMG_3040.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg

Wow, great project. I wait in great expectation of the finished product. If anyone can clean that up it is you!

I think this is the first Raleigh I've seen with a locking fork? 😎

Most of the time all I see is the drive side on these. It's been 30 years or more since I've seen one first hand. 😉

I think your guess on the year is pretty good. It looks like it may have had some salt exposure (road salt or salt water perhaps). It should clean up though.

Since it's NOT my size frame, I'll send it off to a new owner when the time comes. And from the look of the work involved , it won't be for quite a while! 🤪

Back