When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Superbe...Just Got It...

-
I just took the parts out of the EVAPO-RUST and rinsed them off in warm water and dried them, and this is how they look... Amazing!! Some of these parts will get another dipping which I'm sure will remove a bit more rust. LOVE this stuff!!!!!

There's hope after all, and at this point all original parts will remain with the bike. I will not swap out parts. Boy, I hope the rest of the work goes this well. Not to bad @Muji

IMG_3083.jpeg

IMG_3084.jpeg

IMG_3085.jpeg

IMG_3086.jpeg

Date confirmed...December 1971. But now comes the issue of getting the bearings out. Lumpy spinning with a wrench, which means I can't spin it by hand. And now need to figure out a way to get the nut off. So much for everything going smoothly...

IMG_3087.jpeg

Dynohub is cleaning up better than I had dared hope for. This is just using WD-40...brass brush...and a toothbrush. Imagine when I polish it.

Not sure if it will work, but it sure will look nice!!

IMG_3101.jpeg

IMG_3102.jpeg

The cool thing is that after about three drops of oil the 3 speed hub will likely work fine.
I'm guessing that the plastic ferrule on the casing around the cable from the selector failed so that when you try to shift to low the cable cannot pull the link out of the hub so you are always stuck in high. Looks like that yellow plastic bit is wedged there to keep it in low. My early 70's Raleigh 3 speed had the same problem.

@borgward Turns out the oil, as figured, did the trick. Pulls in and out nicely now.

More pieces that went into the EVAPO RUST SOUP. Just rinsed off with water and dried. That stuff is nothing short of amazing.I'll polish them at a later date.

IMG_3116.jpeg

Back