When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Superbe...Just Got It...

-
You can use a Brillo pad to remove rust from chrome parts. I learned that trick from a used car lot guy. I did that on my chrome bumpers. The looked brand new afterwards and stayed that way for years. There is a point of no return for stuff that has gone too far rusted.

@borgward Turns out the oil, as figured, did the trick. Pulls in and out nicely now.

More pieces that went into the EVAPO RUST SOUP. Just rinsed off with water and dried. That stuff is nothing short of amazing.I'll polish them at a later date.

View attachment 1802189
Fred, be specific on the oil. Did three drops work (or how many?) and what is the oil, straight 20W?

@Muji 3-IN-1 oil (brand name). Just a few drops and keep turning the shaft and gently pulling on the chain.

IMG_3118.jpeg

Probably 20 weight. Used to say on the can. 20 weight is recommended for electric motors.

Was bought out by WD - 40 in 95. Don't know if they kept up the quality or milked the brand.

@borgward NEVER use Brillo pads on the chrome! Only use 0000 steel wool and WD-40. This actually helps give it a shine before Polishing it and then waxing it. The Brillo pads are much to abrasive to use on a bike.

You can also use a Brass brush (looks like a tooth brush) on some chrome areas also, like handlebars and rims, with WD-40.

Checking w/Brillo to see what grade. Company has changed hands several times since I did my chrome bumpers. They now market a multitude of grades. The ones I have look very fine. Comparing them with my 0000 steel wool they look the same. I'll post what grade Brillo uses if I get a reply. Do they use a lighter chrome plating on bikes? Quality control went out the window on British products in the late 60's. Maybe they skimped on chrome. I had a new 1968 TR4-A IRS. When it got hot the clutch would not disengage. I got under the car to check the slave cylinder and saw that they replaced the regular type hydraulic line with a plastic tube that expanded with heat.

0000 steel wool is a fine grade as to not scratch the chrome.
If the guy is using it at a used car lot, he really doesn't care what it looks like...just make it look better and get it off the lot.

0000 steel wool is a fine grade as to not scratch the chrome.
If the guy is using it at a used car lot, he really doesn't care what it looks like...just make it look better and get it off the lot.
Easy Fred, your passion is showing 😃

You're going to have a nice bike when it's done. I bet those hub generators
Easy Fred, your passion is showing 😃
There are some coarse varieties of Brillo. I bet they would scratch chrome. Anybody have experience using Brillo and which kind?

Back in the day (almost 50 years ago) I used Brillo on the rear bumper of my car and it worked well. But if these experts are telling me that it is damaging, I am deferring to their expertise. And this makes sense, quality of anything has declined over the years (chrome, Brillo pad, _____ insert your own product) as quality control is an unnecessary component of the manufacturing process and really cuts into profits. And leave it to Corporate America to give us that novel concept of Designed Obsolescence. But I digress. Keep up the good work Fred and I am very interested in leaning from you!

Back