When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Tomahawk 1974

-

Minky Phantom

'Lil Knee Scuffer
My very first brand new bike
My parents weren’t too well off at the time so it was a combined birthday and Christmas present
They paid for it in weekly instalments ( almost unheard of these days )
I could’ve almost burst with excitement when I saw it beside the Christmas tree !
Now resides in my sitting room
BF48E525-A01C-4F34-BF7C-7167B9A343C8.jpeg

Those are pretty interesting and really equipped for a beginner two-wheeler. What size are the wheels, 16 and 12"?

Did you restore it, or did you keep it that pristine? My first bike went through many learning mishaps and it wasn't very pretty after a couple years. :)
No, it’s been fully restored all bar one white Raleigh down tube decal, that I’m unable to source NOS
It got used very hard for three years before upgrading to a Raleigh Meteor in metallic lime green !
After that, a love affair with Vespa & Lambretta scooters began

Thank you
As kids we made up race tracks around the local building site using scaffold boards as ramps going through part built homes, it makes me chuckle when I look at those houses now
I wore my dads motorcycle helmet because it was just so cool and my mates were envious
As kids we named our bikes, as you did back then like the dragsters and hot rods of the time
I came up with the imaginative name of “ hot sausage “ 🙄....... well, I was very young

Very nice.
I had a 'Tomahawk', my younger brother had a 'Chipper' and my youngest brother had a 'Budgie'; all were basically 'Chopper' lookalikes of decreasing sizes.
We had a lot of fun on them in the early 1970's.

Back