When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh X frame. I think..

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dizzle Problems

Finally riding a big boys bike
I acquired this frame/fork recently. I ‘loosely’ believe it’s a 30’s ish Raleigh X frame.
anyone have any insight on dating these? I’m considering a ratty rider, (I know a lot are not if favor of that) but the main thing throwing me off is the 78mm BB shell.

Any help is appreciated really.

Certainly looks like a Raleigh fork and style of serial number stamping.
According to the excellent article available at:

The 'T' prefix may indicate a date of 1934, but this is not precise.

Nice find, I'll keep digging.

Certainly looks like a Raleigh fork and style of serial number stamping.
According to the excellent article available at:

The 'T' prefix may indicate a date of 1934, but this is not precise.

Nice find, I'll keep digging.
That’s a great article, thank you! I’ve picked up a lot of odd pre 40’s euro frames and wheels from the same seller through the years. I think this frame may take 700b (iso 635) wheels. I happen to have a set, but tires may be a challenge.
The frame has a lot of holes, threaded and not in it that seem to line up for the full chainguard, and parts for the rod brakes. The seat stays are completely removable, and missing some hardware actually.
The original cottered crank set up seems difficult to obtain. But I may be able to fit a 73mm mtb square taper BB in it.

-----

regarding the 78mm shell -

would think that some of the cartridge systems would mount right in without a problem

there are some being made now at very modest cost

-----

That’s a great article, thank you! I’ve picked up a lot of odd pre 40’s euro frames and wheels from the same seller through the years. I think this frame may take 700b (iso 635) wheels. I happen to have a set, but tires may be a challenge.
The frame has a lot of holes, threaded and not in it that seem to line up for the full chainguard, and parts for the rod brakes. The seat stays are completely removable, and missing some hardware actually.
The original cottered crank set up seems difficult to obtain. But I may be able to fit a 73mm mtb square taper BB in it.
700b is the standard 'English' 28" wheel size, tyres are readily available, Schwalbe 'Marathon's' are available in this size. Also many Indian companies produce traditional style tyres in this size.

Back