When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rambler, help needed please

-

dnc1

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
An acquaintance of mine has just acquired a 'Rambler' bicycle, a fairly unusual machine over here. Unfortunately pictures are not available as yet.
What I know of the bicycle is that the head badge says Rambler, Model 41 at the bottom and bears the date 1901 at the top.
It has what he describes as "very ornate" lug work on the fork crown, extending well down the blades. Similar lugwork extending along the downtube and also rearward of the bottom bracket along the chain stays.
Does anyone know for how long this model was in production for?
Also, I would love to see a photo of a similar model if anyone has one, or a catalogue image would be highly appreciated.
This is a bit of a new area for my friend, classic British lightweights are very much his forte and his collection of such machines is pretty cool.
This machine will get ridden, and then sometimes we may get 3 great American cycles out on our rides through South Oxfordshire!
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Cheers,
Darren.

Darren,
The "very ornate" lug work you refer to in your description is often referred to as "Rococo" lug work. 1901 would be an appropriate year for that style of lug work. I am not sure the first or last year that Rococo lug work was used, I'm sure though someone has that answer.
Check inside the bottom of the seat post tube for a cardboard tag often hidden under a cardboard plug which may reveal the exact date of manufacturer for that bicycle.
Tyson

This model 41 was made for only one year.
Is it chainless or chain driven?
I have a 1901 chain-driven model.
I need to replicate a badge and would pay him to have the badge 3-D laser scanned.
Here is mine.

6AE7820C-8C12-43DE-ACE9-F911D1568C63.jpeg

FCC1C172-A2F8-4E53-9422-806A903106FA.jpeg

F0405883-CDB4-4216-9170-C32CA4E0B994.jpeg

46DB8AB5-6D69-445D-B1C2-720C9D5488D5.jpeg

49EFE1DE-4564-4C95-9138-E0C0976FFA2F.jpeg

Darren,
The "very ornate" lug work you refer to in your description is often referred to as "Rococo" lug work. 1901 would be an appropriate year for that style of lug work. I am not sure the first or last year that Rococo lug work was used, I'm sure though someone has that answer.
Check inside the bottom of the seat post tube for a cardboard tag often hidden under a cardboard plug which may reveal the exact date of manufacturer for that bicycle.
Tyson
Thanks Tyson!

I bought the bike back in 2011. The photos are when I received it from California. It has been apart ever since. Yes, the hubs are ND, although, the rims are G&J, or maybe not, because tire fittings are a problem! Now that I think about it, an extra set of G&J wood rims were sent with the bike. Not much movement in the intervening years, cleaned up the front fork and had the fork crown cup machined to realign it with the head stock.... I blame it on "too many other projects" going on for the disruptions of this moving toward a finished bike. I'm sure, this happens a lot with many more in this hobby......

bike parts 039.jpg

DSC01258.JPG

Last edited:
Back