When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rambler Mod 52 Roadster 1902

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

oldspoke

Finally riding a big boys bike
Not sure if I had posted images of this Rambler Roadster in the past. Forgive me if I have. Another as found.

Giovanni - You had said "I wish I had closeup photos of the filigree and measurements" in my thread about a 1899 model 26.
This bike is an ' 02 Model 52 Roadster and very similar to your 1900 Rambler Mod 41. Note that G&J didn't incorporate the same elaborate filigree on
this model 52 but instead simply used gold lining around the lug work. It should be easier for you to duplicate.

It seems odd that G&J went to a fancier lug pattern after the merger with Pope and Spalding. Perhaps this style was already in play when A.B.C.was formed ?

Glenn

G&J Roadster Mod 52 1902 002.JPG

G&J Roadster Mod 52 1902 003.JPG

G&J Roadster Mod 52 1902 016.JPG

G&J Roadster Mod 52 1902 019.JPG

G&J Roadster Mod 52 1902 023.JPG

G&J Roadster Mod 52 1902 024.JPG

G&J Roadster Mod 52 1902 026.JPG

G&J Roadster Mod 52 1902 030.JPG

G&J Roadster Mod 52 1902 033.JPG

G&J Roadster Mod 52 1902 034.JPG

Not sure if I had posted images of this Rambler Roadster in the past. Forgive me if I have. Another as found.

Giovanni - You had said "I wish I had closeup photos of the filigree and measurements" in my thread about a 1899 model 26.
This bike is an ' 02 Model 52 Roadster and very similar to your 1900 Rambler Mod 41. Note that G&J didn't incorporate the same elaborate filigree on
this model 52 but instead simply used gold lining around the lug work. It should be easier for you to duplicate.

It seems odd that G&J went to a fancier lug pattern after the merger with Pope and Spalding. Perhaps this style was already in play when A.B.C.was formed ?

Glenn

View attachment 1058609

View attachment 1058610

View attachment 1058611

View attachment 1058612

View attachment 1058613

View attachment 1058614

View attachment 1058615

View attachment 1058616

View attachment 1058617

View attachment 1058618

Glenn, You are correct. GJ Rambler had the rococo lugs on the drawing board by fall 1899. By Spring 1900 Rambler was part of ABC/Pope. And yes, I feel if the timing were any different there could have been a possibility those rococo lugs would have not been produced.

Similarly, the few early 1900 Ramblers that were produced by GJ did in fact have some fairly elaborate striping as evidenced by the attached photos albeit in a very diminished state. The 1900 GJ produced catalog stated in addition to all the offered colors: "all gold striped". By the spring of 1900, ABC was less committal with cosmetics as noted in the Paris Exposition Catalogue; stating after all colors offered: "without striping or other embellishments". Obviously, a modest striping resumed at some point as noted on your 1902 52.

So where the die was cast with the frame design and Rocco lugs, the cosmetics were subject to change, perhaps as a cost saving measure.
20190905_165715.jpg

20190905_170023.jpg
20190905_170119.jpg

Last edited:
Glenn, You are correct. GJ Rambler had the rococo lugs on the drawing board by fall 1899. By Spring 1900 Rambler was part of ABC/Pope. And yes, I feel if the timing were any different there could have been a possibility those rococo lugs would have not been produced.

Similarly, the few early 1900 Ramblers that were produced by GJ did in fact have some fairly elaborate striping as evidenced by the attached photos albeit in a very diminished state. The 1900 GJ produced catalog stated in addition to all the offered colors: "all gold striped". By the spring of 1900, ABC was less committal with cosmetics as noted in the Paris Exposition Catalogue; stating after all colors offered: "without striping or other embellishments". Obviously, a modest striping resumed at some point as noted on your 1902 52.

So where the die was cast with the frame design and Rocco lugs, the cosmetics were subject to change, perhaps as a cost saving measure.
View attachment 1058661

View attachment 1058662View attachment 1058664
Great information about a company in transition. I have never seen this lining on a G&J - No surprise as this style only appeared for a few months before G&J became
part of the A.B.C. This frame would benefit from a linseed oil/turpentine, bees wax, or wax oil treatment. Do you have the rest of the bike ?

I have wondered - are the Rococo lugs cut or cast ? Mass produced but done at a time when skill was the way .

Thank you for showing.

Glenn

Thank you guys, for posting your beautiful Rambler bicycles recently.
These sure look to be some of the finest bicycles of their era.
Absolutely, magnificent!

Great information about a company in transition. I have never seen this lining on a G&J - No surprise as this style only appeared for a few months before G&J became
part of the A.B.C. This frame would benefit from a linseed oil/turpentine, bees wax, or wax oil treatment. Do you have the rest of the bike ?

I have wondered - are the Rococo lugs cut or cast ? Mass produced but done at a time when skill was the way .

Thank you for showing.

Glenn

Glenn,

What is featured in the photos unfortunately is the best of what remains on this frame. Its 95% rust, all the rear stays are bent, the rear drop-outs are like pretzels. The seat stay bridge joints let go. Its had a hard life. I bought it for the forks and a few other parts to complete another 1900 32.

Glenn,

What is featured in the photos unfortunately is the best of what remains on this frame. Its 95% rust, all the rear stays are bent, the rear drop-outs are like pretzels. The seat stay bridge joints let go. Its had a hard life. I bought it for the forks and a few other parts to complete another 1900 32.
Hi Mark,
Do you have an extra seat post?

Back