rare 1912 Lovell Diamond truss frame bicycle by Iver Johnson Sporting Goods

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

locomotion

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 15, 2011
QC
rare 1912 Lovell Diamond truss frame bicycle by Iver Johnson Sporting Goods
great original Lovell Diamond badge
great original paint truss frame and frame decals, pinned in silver
frame had a bend on one of the rear stay, tried to get it as straight as possible, not perfect
motorbike style seat, leather is hard but no rips
rare set original handlebars/stem, love the shape, very comfortable to ride

*** so here is the explanation about the nickel plating and the paint on the fenders and fork and wheels ****
I don't know if Lovell/IJ had a problem with their prep work of to be plated and painted parts in 1912
but when I found the bike, there was no more nickel on all the nickeled parts,
surface rust had peeled it all off and taken over. Same thing had happened on the fork, fenders and wheels.
No original paint was left on the fork and fenders, only surface rust.
(seems like the same problems are seen on other examples of this bike online)

So, what I did was to bring it back to original steel, polish and clear it. (will make the work easier if buyer chooses to re-nickel) it was very time consuming!!!
There was no original finish left ... so I prefer the look of polished steel/clear and fresh paint over complete rust (rust is not patina to me).
If you think that rust is patina, you can simply remove the clear and it will go back to rusty very quickly.
luckily, the rust had not badly pitted the steel (as you can see from the pictures) and not affected the frame!
Same thing was done on the fender, front fork and wheels.
Fenders, wheels and fork had no pin stripping or a color combo like the frame, so it was simply repainted black, like it used to be ..... is it a perfect job? ..... no
but it can easily be redone at low cost by someone better than me at painting

rims are clinchers type added tires and tubes, to make it a rider, been stored a while, tubes are probably still good, but cheap fix if not
added new repro grips (bought from The Cabe)
added newer NOS Phillips pedals

rear bike holder is not included in the sale, Scott sells those, I still need it for other bikes .... they are great racks sold at a great price

please consult the pictures and ask questions by PM only
USD$900 shipped/insured
carefully packed
Paypal f&f (send funds in USD not converted to Canadian Dollars, Paypal makes it tricky)
thanks
bikes1.jpg

bikes2.jpg

bikes3.jpg

bikes7.jpg

bikes4.jpg

bikes5.jpg

bikes6.jpg

Last edited:

olderthandirt

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jun 15, 2012
pilot mt n.c.
ohhh! i like this bike ! just the right amount of patina without overdoing a restoration on an already nice bike ! to me she is a rider ready to go around the world three times without a bathroom break ! thats just me ! i like her a lot ! i guess i will have to pass getting a new left hip on june 8th to go with my new knee joint last april 29th pretty soon i should be back up to speed .i hope she finds a loving home ,she sure deserves a loyal owner who will smoke the botttom bracket bearings as needed LOL !

Reactions: locomotion
This ad goes away when you register for an account!