When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare 1969 Raleigh Competition

-

2old2race7

Look Ma, No Hands!
This is the first year for the Raleigh Competition and the only year it had chrome lugs like the Professional and the International. It is a beautiful Bronze Green.
001.JPG
004.JPG
008.JPG
011.JPG
015.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG

I can see the Simplex derailleurs and Weinmann brakes. Is the crankset Zeus?

BTW, I liked the shorty fenders. They are a nice touch and especially help to keep center-pull brakes clean.
aP1010004.jpg

Beautiful bike ! Is 1969 also the only year that the Competition had Nervex lugs - the International and Super Course used Nervex till the mid 70's. The ,wrap around seat stays look just like early International' also. Does this Competition have rapid taper chain stays like the early International's ?

My 1970 International (E prefix date code) has the same head badge, and I think it was the last year of these nice badges. Does anyone know specifics on this head badge... I've hear them referred to as 'Anniversary' or 'deluxe' badges & seem to be on 1968-70 light weight Raleigh's , but not the lower end kids bikes.

Back