When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare Davis built bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks for the reply and info! Do you happen to know how to date this Manton and Smith? Is there something about it that tells you it's and M&S? I'm just curious for future reference if I come across one of these again.

The built in headlock (on the drive side) is a dead giveaway that the bike was made by Manton and Smith. The other thing that sets Manton and Smith bikes apart is the hand welded un-polished joints. I’m sure the serial number would date the bike but I don’t think any information on decoding their serial numbers is in the public domain. M&S was a small company and used a lot of parts from other suppliers sometimes these help date a bike. The fender braces with the integral drop stand brackets were typically used in the early to mid thirties so I would think your bike is likely to be a prewar bike, on the other hand I have generally seen that badge on postwar bikes.

Last edited:
Thank you, I appreciate all the information!! Actually, I just picked this bike up yesterday from a guy on Craigslist. He had no info except he thought it was a catalog/mail order type of bike and thought it was built on a Schwinn frame. All I had to start with was the name on the head badge and I'm new to working with and researching vintage bicycles. And now... I wonder what it's value might be...

Back