When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare Schwinn 68' Coppertone 5 Speed Fenderless

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sfhschwinn

I live for the CABE
Just picked this up about an hour ago. The guy I got it from got it as a gift from his dad but he didn't want it and listed it on CL as a Schwinn Fastback. Bike is almost mint and even with no grease in the bearings and no brakes because they are not adjusted, this bike flies. Seat, tires, handlebars, a few nuts and bolts, and possibly the sissy bar are not original. The bike will be getting an original clean seat ( I already have one), bolts replaced, Repop Schwinn front whitewall and rear druo whitewall knobby, original fenders- have a rear looking for a mint front ( I can't ride a Schwinn without fenders or any bike for that matter except my trek hybrid), and since the sissy bar is probably not original, I have a really nice krate sissy bar that I will be putting on. I might even have a 68' stamped bar lying around from a krate I parted a while back. If the weather gets nice Wednesday I will polish the wheel and change the parts that I need to. Can't wait to win some shows! The price I paid for it even with putting on the correct parts is probably half of what it is worth

IMG_3262.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

Just picked this up about an hour ago. The guy I got it from got it as a gift from his dad but he didn't want it and listed it on CL as a Schwinn Fastback. Bike is almost mint and even with no grease in the bearings and no brakes because they are not adjusted, this bike flies. Seat, tires, handlebars, a few nuts and bolts, and possibly the sissy bar are not original. The bike will be getting an original clean seat ( I already have one), bolts replaced, Repop Schwinn front whitewall and rear druo whitewall knobby, original fenders- have a rear looking for a mint front ( I can't ride a Schwinn without fenders or any bike for that matter except my trek hybrid), and since the sissy bar is probably not original, I have a really nice krate sissy bar that I will be putting on. I might even have a 68' stamped bar lying around from a krate I parted a while back. If the weather gets nice Wednesday I will polish the wheel and change the parts that I need to. Can't wait to win some shows! The price I paid for it even with putting on the correct parts is probably half of what it is worth

View attachment 285296

View attachment 285297

View attachment 285298

View attachment 285299

View attachment 285301

View attachment 285296

View attachment 285297

View attachment 285298

View attachment 285299

View attachment 285301
nice find. Looks like a fun bike to ride

Dude I would never put fenders and white walls on that bike being a a 5 speed fenderless is what makes it unique and rare

I know its a fenderless but I love fenders and they can always be taken off, they are not permanent and around here with the streets as dirty as they are in NYC the fenders will protect the paint. I have Schwinn repop front whitewall and a duro already in stock so thats why I am using those and they also compliment the coppertone. If I order blackwall repops in the future then I may put them on but for know I am going with whitewalls.

Great bike . Love the Color. Glad to see you replaced the bent seatpost and sissy bar ....and installed the missing rear chainguard bolt. There is a guy that sells really nice recovered silverglow seats on ebay from time to time. I am puzzled why everyone refers to these bikes as fenderless five speeds.
All Standard Stingrays came fenderless untill 1975. Fenders could be added by the dealer but a stock '68 five speed was fenderless.
1968_23.jpg

Great bike . Love the Color. Glad to see you replaced the bent seatpost and sissy bar ....and installed the missing rear chainguard bolt. There is a guy that sells really nice recovered silverglow seats on ebay from time to time. I am puzzled why everyone refers to these bikes as fenderless five speeds.
All Standard Stingrays came fenderless untill 1975. Fenders could be added by the dealer but a stock '68 five speed was fenderless. View attachment 287589
Good eye on the seat post, the post in there was from a exercise model and was such a pain to remove. The seat on it is a mint original with a tiny cut but not noticeable

Anybody notice the sprocket on the 5 spd in this ad, was that a pre-production thing, where any sold with the clover instead of the mag?, I have only seen the Mag, I don't get the fender-less tag either, thought only Deluxe, Super Deluxe ( and whitewall ) & Crates had fenders.
1968_23-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Back