When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare unknown issue of a 1955 Corvette, for the restoration purest!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
This is an original Opal red Rare girls 24" 1955 Bendex manual 2-speed with a previously, before now, virtually unknown chain Guard!

Ok don't run away on the Girls 24" issue idea! We all know or most do that 1. Girls bikes are not in favor, 2. add on 24" size and there's even less interested! maybe you're only interested in boy's 26" or an occasional 24" and this is girls however!

In the first year manufactured, 1955, the Bendex manual 2-speed was only offered as an option, but could there have been some or 1 which is different than them all?? We may never know but if there was this is it!!

And who doesn't want to own a first year of manufacture and issue Schwinn made in 1955, at this date, 1955 (05/03 to 05/05 - R39162 - R56573) that is virtually 1 of a kind!?? For $200, no less, plus shipping or free local pick up?

Serial # R 394XX Albeit some numbers are difficult to date, check it yourself these 3 numbers confirm 1955 only.

( when rubbing the guard I put some acetone on the break lever just to be sure it was nice too, there's some silver paint still on the red here it should clean off without removing all the red, I used to do it as a kid. )

attachment.jpg

Through much deliberation, hard work and carful removal of 2 layers of paint. Whoever applied the first coat of white on this, sanded off quite a bit of this chain guard's decals. However, A thorough identity check within this topic:

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...er-hub-Help-Or-calling-all-1950-s-hub-experts!

Reveled the facts of an unknown limited or special edition of this model.

An Corvette chain guard which nobody (At least those who seem to know the most about them here, and or visited the topic while it progressed and concluded,

GTs58: "Unbelievable Jeff! Great job on the chainguard."

Now unveiled, likely, for the very first time in so many years, No other chain guards except a Corvette because: It's part of the line that crosses the T's!
:

Don't let the gold color throw you off, read the topic linked above.

attachment.jpg

A, 1 of a kind, left for the purest who desires an opportunity to own that which nobody else has, potentially never, other than this opportunity will. No it's not white! LOL, it is even more rare!!

This bike is not complete, but will require little effort to do so, You'll need original seat, pedals, cable and bar brackets for 2-speed shifter, and bellcrank, front brake handle with cable and cantilever brake assembly and original Schwinn tires. And perhaps a tear drop rear fender reflector or other misc. accessories to your desire. You may also elect to replace the original but red sun faded hand grips too.

The fork does have a little sideways twist in it, which should be simple to re-align. It is not bent back but a little twisted out of alignment.

You'll be starting with 59 year old parts which are in very, VERY good order! and whatever required to complete in parts is easily available Except the seat, hard to come by but no where near as is this whole unit

Photos before identification check:

attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

as you can see inside the above photo The chrome is nothing less than very nice!

I just lightly touched in inside of this rim with a Brass brush for a few seconds . just to illustrate how nice the rims are! No scratches from steel wool, and obviously when a good attempt to polish this it will be fantastic!.
P5270288.jpg

The fenders will require some gentle tapping but they already shine, shine, shine! When in my teens, I could hammer out dings like those in the fenders with a little ballpeen hammer and a pad of leather which would then be very difficult to see, if visible at all. . I guess rolling them could make em disappear, idk never done it or personally seen any which were. . Just a few Knicks and tiny dings on the front fender, which will tap out easy and scratches from somebody's foot while riding should polish out easy too:

Front fender:

P5270276.jpg

Fore of front fender:
P5270283.jpg

Rear of front fender: pedaling scratches the worst part as it appears. of any and actually looks much better in person, regardless it will need polishing

P5270282.jpg

The Rear fender has a few more dings than the front but nothing that I think requires rolling, also easy to tap out, and some scratching. If you look back at the chain guard photo portion of rear fender shown, to see the ding in it, that is the worst ding/dent in the whole fender! ;

P5270278.jpg

Rear fender tail:

P5270277.jpg

You saw the condition of the crank and sprocket in the chain guard photo ,, those are really nice, but take a look at the goose neck and part of the handle bars that usually takes more punishment and rust, scratches, nicks and dents from tools from dew when left out side. I wiped off some dirt otherwise nothing on this bike has been polished:

P5270284.jpg

You will receive all that in this photo, which is including the newer Schwinn pedals and newer Schwinn tires. As stated this bike has two different coats of paint over the original color. The first coat, a lighter blue than current was a fairly decent job, and Expect was when these modern tires and pedals were replaced. That first coat was given a light sanding, a red-lead primer, spray painted blue frame and white chain guard. You can see this in the chain guard photo, sanding where a few areas have bare metal showing is now exposed.

However. so far removal of the second coat, a brushed on water based paint is simple, and areas where I also removed the first blue and primer have come off relatively easy with nail polish remover, acetone. which shows why it was painted, the original opal red has been sun bleached into gold. reading the link will enlighten you about Schwinn's Opal red and answer why it's mostly gold now. I expect this little girl spent her childhood and majority of little people adult life in a dry desert region, AZ, NM, NV or TX before retiring in Florida where some reseller slopped on the brushed on blue and silver. Albeit an unnecessary retirement, restored or as is this girl has many, many years of life left in her! lol. .

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...er-hub-Help-Or-calling-all-1950-s-hub-experts!

P5270279.jpg

A few other details:
Original hand grips:

P5270285.jpg

An example of the nutz and bolts on this bike,, no stripped or mangled from poor handling. Tight full points on bolts.
P5270286.jpg

Have you always wanted a Bike fit for restoration? Perhaps a tanker, maybe a 30's 40;s anf 50's Boy's 26 or 24 too?

Yet how many rare 1 of a kind known original issue bikes come around from the 1950's in this kind of condition for only $200 plus shipping in better condition, rare 1 of in any condition?

I am sure given all this bike has to offer you'll agree, an opportunity like this does not come around often, if at all at my price! $200 bucks plus $50-100 shipping is cheap! Buy it now before somebody jumps on it!!

Other wise wait long enough and I'll let the e-bay crowd get it, likely for more, because of e-bay and paypal's extra cut on everything, at least $ 30-40 more, and potentially higher bidders !

10-20 years ago, I would be restoring this and bragging on-line and shows. A one of a kind or known to exist? I'll guarantee!. But alas, I am no long fit for the task. Plus I only acquired this bike to take a few parts from it, and part out the rest..

However! After discovering the rarity of it all, I really Do NOT what to do it.. Don't make me. Besides it is a bargain for the whole unit!

This IS YOUR OPERTUNITY, do not let it slip by, just because it's a girly bike, and 24 incher no less You'll regret it!

Due to the limit in 1 post of 10 photos I'll add more, those missing in this one, in the very next post/reply, (continued in next post.)

P5270283.jpg

P5270284.jpg

P5270285.jpg

P5270286.jpg

P5270288.jpg

P5270279.jpg

P5270276.jpg

P5270282.jpg

P5270278.jpg

P5270277.jpg

Last edited:
Reserved for completion of photos which did not post.

I managed to squeezes them all in the first post after all,but here's some from the other post/ link I cited:

Yes it is Opel red!, and will be the most difficult part for the purest, original restorer. I am sure it's easy to copy, but for you purests at heart. in this photo you can see 1. why the guard has so much gold, 2. zoom in on this, save it, and open inside of a photo program that you can enlarge. You'll discover, the area which was scratched (before I got it), revels red-lead primer 1st coat, Silver 2nd coat, Gold 3rd, and if your are zoomed in, a clear transparent red wherein, the gold 'krackles' over the silver, adding the transparent red It's actually Opal!.. Moreover, how Schwinn created their Candy apple red with a special twist .

Regardless four coats? whew!! No doubt easy to copy but, if you require perfection and capitalize maximum value, or show quality, , a job for the purest no doubt.

P5250272.jpg

Here's a view after I thumb nailed scratched off the blues and primer from this 1st paint job. It beats the heck out of me how, under the bars could fade to gold, I'd expect if sanded the primer would stick better. but. It is what it is!

P5250273.jpg

There is only one chain guard that Schwinn ever made that crosses the T's and ends with a dart, or arrow.

Early Schwinn Corvette chain gurad.jpg

And only 1 known to exist with this type of pressed out pattern! No other chain guards except a Corvette because: It's part of the line that crosses the T's!
After very carful cleaning, the original decals had just a tiny bit to reveal the identity, so I out-lined what I could see for others to see it too. far left is the first letter of the Schwinn logo, then a small portion of the 1st T, next a little more, 2nd T and finally an e, the Dart above and thin lines behind it.
Rare 1955 24 inch sized Opal red Schwinn Corvette chain gurad.jpg

Here is the same photo before I added in the red out line, you can see the dart or arrow and thin line behind it:
" It's part of the line that crosses the T's! "

P5250275.jpg

Bendex manual 2-speed hub

P5240268.jpg

Original AS boat, Thick zinc plated seat post clamp that wants to clean up NICE.
P5270280.jpg

As a kid in the 60's I created stingray's with multiple parts scrapped from the kids within my neighborhoods. later late 60's to early 70's it was 10 speeds. dipping frames in acid, removing or filling any hard nicks, then Schwinn primer and original colors offered by Schwinn. every tiny nut, bolt, screw, bearing cleaned washed and polished or replaced for better .. But it wasn't easy, even then, discovering parts as nice as these. This bike is comprised of the best one could find, even back then.. that which would resell as good as new. Once completed the only existing quality in them was because the paint couldn't be baked on. otherwise, what I sold was the best of the best parts assembled, and,, most of the parts became better than new, polished rubbed, detailed better than the factory delivered. only "as good as new' for the lack of baked paint.

You just don't find a 50's bike like this, original with such fine parts all in one place for the kind of money I'm asking ! Not even back in the day..

OK so it's a girly bike? and 24" too? I'm not asking a couple of grand either! But I'd expect restored properly,, whoever does it,, is going to own something they would not part with for a grand!!.. even as we progress in the hobby of collecting, restoration,, they's just so many bikes that'll fit in the high margin of NICE! original parts, proved with documentation! And that category is reserved for those who had the opportunity to do it ahead of the pack!

Just a few years ago, you could grab a out of fashion boys 24" for nothing,, and the clock has ticked on that opportunity.

if not already, be the first on your block to own a quality un-mangled Schwinn! get em while you can! ;)

P5250272.jpg

P5250273.jpg

Early Schwinn Corvette chain gurad.jpg

Rare 1955 24 inch sized Opal red Schwinn Corvette chain gurad.jpg

P5240268.jpg

P5270280.jpg

P5250275.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Back