When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarely seen 1950s Continental Clubman (not mine)

-

ccdc.1

Finally riding a big boys bike
Happened upon on eBay this evening: a rarely-seen Continental Clubman model. Looks to be a match for the Clubman advertisement that has been out there on the web...first one I've seen in reality. Not connected to the sale at all, but it does appear to be original and in excellent condition. Priced accordingly, unfortunately, but a good specimen, and a likely affirmation of the details of the model: Brooks saddle, early "Made in Switzerland" engraved Weinmann sidepulls, GB alloy stem, unique (for Schwinn) crankset, etc. all seem correct. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=202776201975

Anybody seen another one to compare with?

clubman ad.jpeg

s-l1600.jpg

Never seen one anywhere except a picture in the brochure. About perhaps 10 years ago a couple of these surfaced on the old Schwinn forum causing a lot of excitement, but I believe they turned out to be fake. This one looks real to me.

There's this series of lightweights from the 1950s that appear in the catalogs but which almost never seem to turn up. In the early 1950s, the older style "New World" bikes from the 1940s went out and the newer series of World, World Varsity, and World Traveler came in. Above that level there were changes to the Continental line, which got new decorative stripes rather than the winged transfers. But at the same time, it seems like fewer Continentals were being made. We actually see many more of the 1940s Continentals with the wings turn up compared to these later ones with the stripes.

I think you may have found a real one there. That star crankset is uncommon. The gold paint is listed in the catalog and it has the odd, complex pin stripes. It's missing the Clubman transfer on the chainguard, but the equipment looks pretty good to me. Cable routing is different than the catalog, but then that goofy "underneath" rear cable route was something that Schwinn did use on many of its 3-speeds. Granted, this is the first I've seen turn up as well... and I've seen a lot of old Schwinn 3-speeds. Is there a backstory to this bike? It's really clean.

Last edited:
This appears to be the same slot, same equipment as a Superior. I think they stopped making New Worlds, and maybe Superiors around 1948 or 49? And then early 1960's Superiors reemerged.
This bike has obvious fillet brazing and no use of electro forging like the New World did. Also has the dagger front mudguard. Rather than the (may I call it "bacon slicer") like British motorcycles used for front number plate.

Big money for a 3-speed, but at least we've gotten to see one. I recall that green 9-speed variation on the CABE awhile back and it also was pretty unique. They would both be really good finds for the person who likes obscure, old Schwinn 3-speeds with fillet brazed frames. Hopefully someone here bought it and we can see it more.

Back