When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rat Trap "Death Trap" Pedals Should Not Be Used In Restoration Of Old Leightweights

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

frankabr.

Finally riding a big boys bike
This pedal design was very dangerous. It was designed to securely hold ones foot in the pedals. If hit by a car or truck, you risk being dragged under the vehicle. Unfortunately, this used to happen, much too often, in the old days. Clipless pedals were designed in response to this. They will easily disengage.

This saved my life when a truck hit me from behind (doing 55)mph. This was in 1990. I was using early Look clipless pedals. Although knocked unconscious, the pedals disengaged. My bike went under the truck, but I did not. (I was also wearing a helmet, which shattered, but also certainly helped save my life).

Many people doing restorations today do not know, or remember how dangerous those pedals were. This is a serious post, and I hope you listening. If doing a restoration project, you should discard this type of pedal. Use clipless or non cage pedals.

F.A.

Last edited:
Everytime a bike comes through my hands with those style of pedals I immediately remove them and set them aside in case a customer wants them. Whether they break away or not it gives me the creeps just thinking about that!

Back