When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rauler / Colnago

-

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
Looks like a pretty nice frameset for $250.
1540631729081.png

Craig's List ad description (with some edits). I put "Colnago" in the title for future Search tags due to the frame builders association with Ernesto:

"RAULER SPECIAL" 57 cm frameset by the renowned Italian builder RAUL GOZZI. Raul and his brother earned their reputation as frame builders for ERNESTO COLNAGO, constructing their top of the line professional team bikes. The name RAULER is reputed to be a combination of RAUL and "ER" (from Ernesto Colnago).

This frame is the famous "Rauler Special" model that was made with all Columbus SL tubing, Campagnolo forged dropouts, and equipped with full Campagnolo Nuovo Record components.
Professionally refinished with DuPont automotive paint and clear coats (a value of over $150 in raw materials). The frame and fork are in Excellent condition. No damage, dents, rust, etc. The bike has seen most of it's life stored in a garage. The chrome on the dropouts, fork crown, and in the rear triangle area are the original chrome, most of which was previously painted over. Great care was taken to preserve the chrome. There is no pitting, but there are visual signs of the age (see above) such as light patina to the polish, and traces of the original paint in some of the little nooks of the dropouts.

Italian threaded bottom bracket shell. Clean threads.
Classic Columbus 1" fork with the older style crown.
I also have many pictures of the bike prior to restoration to confirm that there was no prior structural damage of any sort.
Raul Gozzi is now back in business. Selling again under the Rauler name, the current "Classic Lugged" frame is very similar to the original "Special". Current list price for a new frame is $2799.

beauty frame
I would guess the fork and low seatstay bosses are for fenders, but could be for racks.
Can you date it?

So I was looking (here and elsewhere) for some info on this marque and for some reason the myth of their name (even though openly stated otherwise by Reclus Gozzi [brother of Raul Gozzi] in a 50 year history write-up of his company) as being derived by use of "RAUL" and the "ER" from Ernesto Colnago is still being told by those unaware of the true origin. The actual origin is taken from "RAUL" and the "R" in Reclus with Italian form of "and" ("e") to complete the name: RAUL-e-R (RAULER). Even the online blogger "S-a-a-r-f" who it seems is "in bed" with Ernesto Colnago and whom I presume has a good knowledge of Italian marques having some connection to Colnago (or so he makes out) perpetuates the naming myth. It would seem that he is not going to own up to his mistake as I found on BF while reading some of his childish (possibly ego driven) comments from another BF member calling him out on it., Not my concern about their debate; but there is no debate as to the origin of "Rauler" name. I have a couple of Rauler frames that will be posted soon, but I just wanted to correct the name origin issue as I am sick of seeing (for decades!) the Ernesto reference on the naming of their company and although I am ignorant on many things, I think I'll take the word of the founder of the company as the gospel truth.

Like the above example both my frames are a red hue (original paint); seems to be a common color for them.

Edit: surprisingly this was the only thread directly referencing this marque for the CABE. Odd, considering their high quality, low number, and the lengthy Colnago connection.

Last edited:
Back