When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re Chrome Work

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

patricksdad

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Need some parts for my JC Higgins Spring Assembly Re Chromed. I was wondering if a member of the CABE might self perform this work

Thanks

I don’t believe there are any home platers. The chemicals and equipment needed along with government and environmental regulations make this cost prohibitive. Chrome is expensive so just step up and pay the man! V/r Shawn

It is not a process that can be done at home or by an hobbyist. Chrome is expensive but you generally (hopefully) get what you pay for. Shop around and compare what a plating shop is turning out and for what price. Don't just walk in and pay the man. Might be talking to the wrong man. Ask local restoration shops or people at car shows who they use.
Chrome is one thing that everyone subs out

I chrome way ahead to be safe from a no-chrome future. It can not be done without pollution. Ironically, I am a big customer and my high school girlfriend works for the EPA and shuts them down. I say get it done at any price and hug all the chrome you have. $150 minimum?

In California there is a push to eliminate chrome plating shops. The ones operating are in business because they have licenses. Small ones are open because they are Grand Fathered in. Once the owner shuts down, retires, or dies that is it for that address. $150 is fair for a minimum.
Don't let your chrome rust!

There is a great place here in KC that just did a bunch of stuff for me. Detray Plating.
Cadmium and chrome over nickel. A nice gal named Rachel helped me. They did seat parts, fender braces, all nuts and bolts, the bars, the crank, the stem, the seat components, the hubs, and misc. things.

fullsizeoutput_550d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_550f.jpeg

Last edited:
deTray plating is an awesome place with awesome people.
Coincidence. I just found out one of the guys I work with used to work there and his father still does.
Ask for Bub, he’s the dude!

Back