When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-cover A Saddle Quick & Cheap.

-
Thanks for the inspiration Tinker... Here is my first adventure in seat restoration.... It was cheap but wasn't particularly quick. This seat was on my '41 Excelsior and with the oil cloth turning to dust I had to do something. The seat in general is really crusty so I figured it would be a good one to sacrifice in the name of learning by doing.

Where I started

View attachment 1359558View attachment 1359559

Oil cloth and old padding stripped. I was careful to salvage the old pad to trace

View attachment 1359568

Had some 1/8' foam (randomly green like the original) laying around the warehouse so I glued up 4 layers... next time I'll just buy 1/2" but this is the cheap and quick thread!

View attachment 1359569

View attachment 1359570

View attachment 1359571

Then I hit all the rust with a wire brush, washed and dried everything

View attachment 1359572

Sprayed with Rust Reformer. Then painted with Rustoleum enamel

View attachment 1359573

Ready to glue.. Weld wood contact cement... gotta get it right the first time when the foam and pan go together... it is not forgiving once stuck

View attachment 1359574

Then I contoured the foam to the pan with some 80 grit

View attachment 1359575

Ready for leather

View attachment 1359576

I got a decent calf skin for $20 at Tandy and looks like I can get 3-4 saddles out of it... I did try to find a curbside couch but no luck...

View attachment 1359578

For the leather I used the 3m spray adhesive. I made a stencil out of newspaper to contain the overspray so I could glue the top but stretch edges by hand without getting sticky

View attachment 1359579

View attachment 1359586

I then worked the leather from center of pan to edges getting it nice and smooth

View attachment 1359587

Next I stapled the leather to a piece of plywood working around the edges getting it tight. I let it sit in the sun for 30 mins and took the staples out. Then I trimmed excess and glued the leather to the bottom of the pan... No pic of this step due to adhesive on the hands

View attachment 1359588

And done... not too shabby. Learned a lot and could certainly do it quicker in warmer weather next time.

View attachment 1359594

View attachment 1359595

View attachment 1359596
Dang man....mighty fine work, very clean and precise!

I'll include this in this thread. This leather would make dynamite saddle bags for your bike, as it won't collapse like thin leather or other materials. I made two strap cutters. One for heavy leather and the other for thin straps. The first one is non-adjustable. That's this one here.View attachment 1332824

View attachment 1332825

View attachment 1332826

View attachment 1332827

View attachment 1332828
I cut six straps, 50 plus inches for belts. I'll stamp designs into them. The first belt was hard to cut. I changed the blade angle and they cut easy after that. I squared off the hide with a straight edge before cutting.
View attachment 1332816

This cutter cost nothing but a blade. Used an old tool box handle and some scrap oak. You can buy a cheap cutter for under 50 bucks for cutting the heavy leather. Here's an adjustable cutter I made from a wood worker's marking gauge. It does not ruin the gauge.View attachment 1332819

All you're doing is re-making the sliding stop. Cut a slot in it to run the leather through and cut a tiny slot for the blade. Used a hunk of cherry for it, because it's super hard, but doesn't split like oak. The blade is from an Exacto knife .View attachment 1332817

View attachment 1332818

You can buy small strap cutters for under 50 bucks, but this one's free. The small strap cutter is handy for cutting small straps, any size, and consistent, out of light leather from a quarter inch to inch and a half. Straps for hanging tool, and saddle bags? Fringe lace for side bags? This has bicycle applications, if you think about it. Made these cutters a couple weeks back. Trying to keep busy during this covid crap. Have fun folks!

View attachment 1332814

View attachment 1332815
Giving up the computer for Lent, so don't anyone try and contact me. Been off the Cabe for a while. So far I made 15 belts. Each one unique in their respective tooling. Always liked Paladin, so I cut a chess knight in half and made a pair of paladin holsters. Also made three other holsters and a bandolier. Made a guitar strap for a buddy and am now doing two knife sheaths and one bayonet sheath. Mastered hand stitching. I don't think I'll have any problems sewing a saddle. Been keeping really busy. Stay safe.. . tink.

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

Last edited:
I tried on a Trodel ladies saddle.3 times! I'm getting closer to having it look okay.
I got a yoga mat at Goodwill along with a large, colored purse. Two different colors that will do 4 or 5 saddles. All of the materials cost $8.00, plus tax.

I like it! Much better than the modern saddle. Hopefully it's comfortable enough. I never noticed the hookworms on the Columbia. Looking good. I just ordered a pair today! Can't wait to get em!

Thanks for the inspiration Tinker... Here is my first adventure in seat restoration.... It was cheap but wasn't particularly quick. This seat was on my '41 Excelsior and with the oil cloth turning to dust I had to do something. The seat in general is really crusty so I figured it would be a good one to sacrifice in the name of learning by doing.

Where I started

View attachment 1359558View attachment 1359559

Oil cloth and old padding stripped. I was careful to salvage the old pad to trace

View attachment 1359568

Had some 1/8' foam (randomly green like the original) laying around the warehouse so I glued up 4 layers... next time I'll just buy 1/2" but this is the cheap and quick thread!

View attachment 1359569

View attachment 1359570

View attachment 1359571

Then I hit all the rust with a wire brush, washed and dried everything

View attachment 1359572

Sprayed with Rust Reformer. Then painted with Rustoleum enamel

View attachment 1359573

Ready to glue.. Weld wood contact cement... gotta get it right the first time when the foam and pan go together... it is not forgiving once stuck

View attachment 1359574

Then I contoured the foam to the pan with some 80 grit

View attachment 1359575

Ready for leather

View attachment 1359576

I got a decent calf skin for $20 at Tandy and looks like I can get 3-4 saddles out of it... I did try to find a curbside couch but no luck...

View attachment 1359578

For the leather I used the 3m spray adhesive. I made a stencil out of newspaper to contain the overspray so I could glue the top but stretch edges by hand without getting sticky

View attachment 1359579

View attachment 1359586

I then worked the leather from center of pan to edges getting it nice and smooth

View attachment 1359587

Next I stapled the leather to a piece of plywood working around the edges getting it tight. I let it sit in the sun for 30 mins and took the staples out. Then I trimmed excess and glued the leather to the bottom of the pan... No pic of this step due to adhesive on the hands

View attachment 1359588

And done... not too shabby. Learned a lot and could certainly do it quicker in warmer weather next time.

View attachment 1359594

View attachment 1359595

View attachment 1359596
This looks great. Love the sun step. Really good write up.

Posting my experience covering a seat not because it turned out great like everyone else’s but because it didn’t (it’s embarrassingly bad) and hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes.
I read somewhere that carpet padding is good for seats and I have some laying around so I used it. Attached it to the pan with #90 spray adhesive that is recommended for headliners. So far so good.

Contoured the pad with a bench top sander, fully expecting it to tear up the padding, but it took shape better than I expected. The leather was placed out in the sun while I sanded the padding - it’s 100 degrees here so the leather got good and warmed up.

I used the padding cut out as a stencil to spray glue the leather- so I didn’t get glue all over. @dasberger did that for his recover and I stole his idea.

Then I applied the top and stapled the whole mess to a piece of wood, again a Dasberger idea. I took the bottom pan and clamped it upside down to the top, creating pressure so everything would bond tightly.

After all that it still turned out a hot mess. For one thing the leather I used was from very old chairs and was rather saggy, not flat at all, so it bunched up when I laid it on the seat. I also think a layer of flannel over the carpet pad would help smooth out some wrinkles and add a little tension to the leather. Finally, I wasn’t as patient and attentive to detail as I probably should have been. Takeaways:
Carpet pad works pretty well
Use a stencil to keep your glue contained
Staple down your work
It’s okay to use salvaged leather but look it over closely before you commit to it
Patience is a virtue

In the end, I’m a little bummed but it was a junker seat to begin with. I have 2 more seats to do so I hope to improve as I go. Thanks @the tinker and everyone else on this thread for the inspiration, I never would have even tried this had I not seen all your fine work!

I think it looks comfy. I bet it rides nice. It’s really much better than you think. I’m glad you posted your thoughts and pics.

To me, the leather looks pretty burly. I can imagine it not wanting to stretch out nice and perfectly flat for you. I always try to start in the center of the pad and work my way out to the edges, smoothing it out along the way. I used some light weight upholstery leather from amazon above and it is soft and thin. That helps a lot.

Keep trying and your saddles will keep getting better.

Thanks for sharing, even if it wasn't to your satisfaction. Can't speak for others, but for me personally, I learn quite a bit more when things don't turn out perfectly. I've got a seat to re-cover, but so far haven't taken the plunge. I'm learning a LOT from this thread. Best of luck on your next try.

Back