When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-cover A Saddle Quick & Cheap.

-
Last night I sat in this chair.It is sitting out in the garage and I also looked it over really good. Being a retired carpenter I can appreciate the amount of workmanship that's in the wood base /stand. It is in excellent shape. I may keep it to replace the the almost 40 year old chair I have in the downstairs bike-room. It is very comfortable and reclines back.
The garbage truck was right behind me as I picked it off the street.
I hate the waste in this country.

Made the decision to keep it. Too good to cut up. More then likely will come across another . Most of these leather chairs the seats are shot. The sides and backs are what you look at for the saddle leather.
012.JPG
You are right Trips , I will keep this one don't have the heart to ruin it.

I want to add this: Don't be in a rush when doing your saddle. Don't be a schlock like me and be in a hurry ... cut your padding neatly. I have used foam before but I did not like the "feel" of the finished saddle. The older saddles were not as soft .If I wasn't so cheap I would go out and buy some heavy felt for the padding, but that's just me.
Don't get discouraged if your first try turns out looking like a first grade craft product as mine did.
I had hoped that some of the other fellows doing seats would chime in here as far as how they do it, as I know it would be welcome to learn their way as to improve this thread, as I am indeed a "Schlock".

While getting ready to do my second saddle recover, looking for tips, I found this thread. The first saddle I did last summer for my Pea Picker. I would have preferred to use an original looking cover, but I had to do it in a rush with what I could quickly get my hands on.

This is the bike with the original cover.
krate-seat-1.jpg

krate-seat-2.jpg

I removed the cover and cleaned the pan.

krate-seat-1.jpg

krate-seat-2.jpg

I sprayed adhesive on the pan and covered it with foam.

krate-seat-3.jpg

Then, I sprayed the foam with adhesive and covered the foam with leather that I bought at a local leather shop.

krate-seat-4.jpg

krate-seat-5.jpg

krate-seat-6.jpg

The next saddle that I am going to do is for my 1943 Dayton military bike.

joes-saddle-1.jpg

Back