When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-Spoking Trike wheels

-

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
Anyone have any info on how difficult it is to respoke/repair a prewar trike wheel? I see many missing them. Are there replacements out there? I know nothing about trikes, so thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance for the help. Mike

Anyone have any info on how difficult it is to respoke/repair a prewar trike wheel? I see many missing them. Are there replacements out there? I know nothing about trikes, so thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance for the help. Mike

I've also been wondering if there is any way to replace trike spokes/nipples short of removing/replacing the rubber held on with a center wire. I'm guessing the original rubber, being hard from age, would not be flexible enough to re-install using a tire setter machine and would have to be replaced with new rubber. I have several different lengths of vintage Torrington velocipede spokes for when I get to the point of spoke replacement.

Dave

Last edited:
trike spokes

Not sure how it is done, but if someone needs spokes, I have several hundred trike spokes starting at 2 inches long and going up.

Not sure how it is done, but if someone needs spokes, I have several hundred trike spokes starting at 2 inches long and going up.

Hi Gordon,
I could use some 7" spokes if you have them.
Thanks, John

Hey Gordon I may need some spokes too. Do these have nipples like a regular bicycle spoke? Just wondering if anyone here has the tool to redo a wire tire? What about the glue on tires? Thanks, Shawn

When i redid my IJ trike, i cut the nipple to length. I then had to bend the non threaded end to a S shape. I dont think you can replace spokes with a tire on the rim. As far as finding the wire tying machine for new tires, i went to a wheelchair repair shop. They also were fastened the same way with wire. Of course, this was 21 yrs ago.

Back