When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reading Materials to learn basic maintenance on older bikes?

-

Lucid Bikes

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey Everybody,

I am an extreme novice when it comes to bicycle repair and maintenance and wanted to start learning! I would prefer to learn to do this myself rather then take my bikes to a shop. I am interested in recommendations for any useful reading materials that will help me learn repair and maintenance and basic restoration for older bicycles. I just purchased a Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual and hoping that its a good place to start. All recommendations are welcomed! Thanks everybody, and I hope to find some new materials to dive into! PLEASE REMEMBER THAT I AM A BEGINNER. Thanks!

51e2Qlm9tjL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hey Everybody,

I am an extreme novice when it comes to bicycle repair and maintenance and wanted to start learning! I would prefer to learn to do this myself rather then take my bikes to a shop. I am interested in recommendations for any useful reading materials that will help me learn repair and maintenance and basic restoration for older bicycles. I just purchased a Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual and hoping that its a good place to start. All recommendations are welcomed! Thanks everybody, and I hope to find some new materials to dive into! PLEASE REMEMBER THAT I AM A BEGINNER. Thanks!

View attachment 730617

I personally like Glens Manual. It focuses a lot on road bikes but much applies to all bikes. One part I use is the how to lace wheels. It’s good reading and learning. You’re in the right place here on the CABE. I believe this is the most knowledgeable group in the US; and maybe the world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Haynes bicycle manual is what I used to give my rookie mechanics to study.
Glenns is very good on basic old school technology, but the Haynes bicycle book
is more up to date, especially on the topic of index shifting

This site and the large number of experienced collectors in So Cal will answer or have answered any question you can come up with so ask...and being a rookie simply means you will be teased so roll with it and enjoy the ride...we were all rookies once...

Back