When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reading Materials to learn basic maintenance on older bikes?

-
This site and the large number of experienced collectors in So Cal will answer or have answered any question you can come up with so ask...and being a rookie simply means you will be teased so roll with it and enjoy the ride...we were all rookies once...
Have to agree with that statement entirely @old hotrod, and add that knowledge lies all over The Cabe , not exclusively within the Cali Cartel. Lol, just
joking guys!
Seriously the help on here is beyond good.

Nothing beats just digging in, either. If you've worked on anything else, bicycles are easy. The most difficult thing is the difference in standards.

Have to agree with that statement entirely @old hotrod, and add that knowledge lies all over The Cabe , not exclusively within the Cali Cartel. Lol, just
joking guys!
Seriously the help on here is beyond good.
I think you completely misunderstood my answer, I was not implying that the Cali Cartel had more exclusive or extensive knowledge than others, what I meant was that he is local to a lot of collectors that he can lean on for advice, face to face rather than on the forum...because as is clearly evident, it is not always easy or clear to communicate with a keyboard...:D

I think you completely misunderstood my answer, I was not implying that the Cali Cartel had more exclusive or extensive knowledge than others, what I meant was that he is local to a lot of collectors that he can lean on for advice, face to face rather than on the forum...because as is clearly evident, it is not always easy or clear to communicate with a keyboard...:D
Apologies @old hotrod, I think you may have misconstrued my response, just a little joke on my part. As you said above, "it is not always easy or clear to communicate with a keyboard....", my attempts at humour evidently so.
Anyway, a Happy New Year to you sir.

I figured, hence the smiley face emoji following my sarcastic reply...lol...Happiest of New Years to you too...

Hey Everybody,

I am an extreme novice when it comes to bicycle repair and maintenance and wanted to start learning! I would prefer to learn to do this myself rather then take my bikes to a shop. I am interested in recommendations for any useful reading materials that will help me learn repair and maintenance and basic restoration for older bicycles. I just purchased a Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual and hoping that its a good place to start. All recommendations are welcomed! Thanks everybody, and I hope to find some new materials to dive into! PLEASE REMEMBER THAT I AM A BEGINNER. Thanks!

View attachment 730617

Best lesson not in books:

Get a junk bike if you will be doing restoration on a bike.

Doesn't have to be a complete bike.
This is the bike you will use to learn and make mistakes
on instead of your cool bike that you are trying to bring to life.

Btw: my first "old" bike, I restored to like "new".
I got compliments and was asked if it was a replica.
I realized that for me....I preferred the old look.
Ever since, all my originals, I just dust, lubricate, and at most,
change the tires and leave it as is.
And enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
A good one is "How to restore your collector bicycle by William Love. Out of print for some time, Scott @ the Cabe bookstore might know where to find one. I got mine from either ebay or Alibris, which is an online network for used books.

You can have these for $25 plus $10 for the ride.
P1250276.JPG
P1250279.JPG
P1250280.JPG
P1250281.JPG
P1250282.JPG
P1250287.JPG
P1250288.JPG
P1250291.JPG
P1250283.JPG
P1250284.JPG
P1250278.JPG

Back