When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real world values

-
What's it worth?? That depends on people's net worth and taste. It's that simple. Those that want something, get what they can afford. That's what it's worth to them. If money is no object to a said person.... then there is no limitation of worth and actual value was thrown right out the window. Wealthy people will pay whatever they want to say it's their item. Bragging rights, and at that point, the rest of the people in lower tax brackets don't value it anymore at that new higher "worth" because reality sets in and we realize, sure it's history and rare. But after it's all said and done.... it's still steel tubing, some old lacquer paint, and...... a bicycle..... that, at some point the next person will be taking care of after we die and might not even value it at all. If that bike even lasts that long. It's that simple. No matter how much you try to preserve any of these bikes, they are deteriorating before your eyes, and that's a fact.

it's all perceived value, what it's worth to you. people buy this or that for crazy money because they can. what one calls crazy, someone else thinks it's a deal. I've been in the bike hobby for a long time, and to me the last 4 or 5 years, the prices have exploded, mainly for top self stuff. deluxe prewar schwinns...wow. everything goes in cycles, no pun intended. I think the bike hobby will do fine for years to come, although in the next 10 to 20 years their should be some great collections for sale. buy what you love, buy what you can afford and you will be all right

Back