When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real world values

-
a while back on the jalopy Journal some guy asked about a car he had inherited and wanted some info on it and what it could be worth. they seem to hate this over there like they have something better to do and many responses were just plain rude. my response was over on the CABE we gladly help non-bike people with their questions and even suggest they list it in the classifieds. I mentioned there were no buttheads on the Cabe like that..

I stand corrected.
You keep missing the point. The post is about value/worth, not general information. I,and many others, have spent a great deal of time and energy helping people determine what they have, how to fix something, where to get parts, etc.. I’m not a big fan of people simply asking “what’s it worth?” without expending a little energy themselves. V/r Shawn

a while back on the jalopy Journal some guy asked about a car he had inherited and wanted some info on it and what it could be worth. they seem to hate this over there like they have something better to do and many responses were just plain rude. my response was over on the CABE we gladly help non-bike people with their questions and even suggest they list it in the classifieds. I mentioned there were no buttheads on the Cabe like that..

I stand corrected.
Never a need to be rude.Just dont respond if you plan to be rude.

the point is I am not annoyed by people looking to sell an item that I have knowledge and and interest in, even when they have no interest in said item and simply do not wish to sell it for pennies on the dollar.
Where did I mention anything about selling an item?

when a person seeks out the worth of an item they have no interest in what possible reason could there be other than to sell it?
Insurance purposes, general knowledge to know if it’s even worth keeping, tax donation deduction, and I’m sure there are other reasons.

I’ll gladly answer what’s it worth posts occasionally. Even if only one out of ten care I don’t mind.

When I started racing bikes as a young punk there was this group of guys that were too cool to bother with most people unless you were accepted by them. You’d be put on full blast if you dared to engage. And as a kid, that was no fun. Funny thing is 20 years later most of them are washed up, divorced and life doesn’t seem to be going so well for them. One of them even showed up at a local bike race recently and it was great, one more person to finish behind me. Waaaay behind me lol.

Ten minutes of my time could really go a long way for an enthusiast just getting started. Not like that group of has beens.

Last edited:
I'm a newbie, and frequent drunkposter, so please take the following with grain of salt:

An item is worth whatever two parties agree upon. My mostly-middleweight Schwinn hoard is worthless to most, but priceless to me. I may have "overpaid" for stuff, and I'm content with that. Most of my crap was dirt cheap. I'm neither a speculator or a flipper.

In 2018, I attended a deceased midwestern collector's estate auction (RIP Larry!). Most showroom-quality bikes and projects sold for less than $100 American.

I'm of two minds regarding this situation. I can generally spot a "what's it worth?" query from a fleeting newbie poster from a hundred yards. No one wants to leave money on the table, right? The bike in question will likely end up on Eb*y or F*cebook, or wherever will net the highest return (hopefully the CABE classifieds). Few of these Google "Schwinn Phantom worth" cellular telephone fleetposters will stay, but greetings to those who do!

Sell me a Panther, cheap plz

Despite the direction (misdirection) this post took my main points were the perceived exorbitant values of some bikes and parts as well as , what I consider inflated values, some people quote on common items. This post was never about people coming here for valuations and getting/not getting help. V/r Shawn

Back