When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really stuck handlebar stem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I was just about ready to cut the crook off but decided I'd give it one more shot with the leverage bar. I heard that creak! yeah! it's loose...I was trying to muscle it back toward the center & it finally started turning from side to side & eventually I got it out.....I'm happy.
Right on!!!:D Yea leverage!!;) Some grease on that stem & wedge wouldn't hurt either...

we just use a air hammer we bought at home depot for 15.00 it has a hammer bit for it.alittle pb blaster and a few hits has gotten out the worst stems ive seen.

we just use a air hammer we bought at home depot for 15.00 it has a hammer bit for it.alittle pb blaster and a few hits has gotten out the worst stems ive seen.

By air hammer, do you mean a pneumatic tool that you run off an air compressor? Is there a brand name? I have my stem out now, but could you explain a little bit more as to how you used it. There seems to be plenty of stuck stems out there. And where can I buy pb blaster? Thanks.

yea iam the plumming pro at home depot,plus we build ratrod fords.harleys and most of all vintage bikes.you can get the pb blaster at home depot or most any auto parts store.its the best deruster ive seen.i mean we tear down motors thats been sitting in the rain for 40+ years.yea it a pneumatic hammer.its 15.00 and a bit set is 13.00.it comes with darn good little spike bit as well as a hammer end and 2 different metal shears.and its adjustable for the amount of power you need.just flip that bike over and put that hammer head on the bottom of the stem where the handlebars go thru and watch it just come right out.of course soak it down with the pb first.just look in the air tools at your local depot.

Just to add another approach... A couple of years ago when working in the bike shop, I had to remove a stuck stem out of a very fine vintage English road bike. I ended up having to cut the stem off above the headset (after days of soaking, etc.). Then I took a saw blade that would fit inside of the stem remnant & very slowly and carefully incised the wall of the stem. Once it was basically cut through, just a squeeze on the top that protruded and the remains of the stem bifurcated & came right out. One must be very careful as to not cut into the steerer tube. The brute force method can damage the fork. Always use caution. Congratulations on getting it fixed!

Thanks for all the input folks. this has been a great thread. I've learned allot & I'm sure it will help other people as well.

Back