When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear cog question

-

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
I remember reading a thread about making peddling easier by replacing the rear cog with a higher number of teeth but can’t find the thread. What is the highest number in teeth for both skip tooth and regular cogs?

It depends on which hub you have since the cog design will limit your choices. For cogs with 3 splines (SA/Nexus) I've seen the 11T ichibike cogs which I think are the largest available. I don't follow the later stuff so not sure.

For the same hubs mentioned above, but in 1/2” pitch, Shimano makes a 23-tooth, and Sturmey Archer (English) makes a 24-tooth.

For older threaded cog-sprockets, I have found a couple of 12-tooths, and a 14-T. There may have been even larger to go with oversized front chain ring sprockets.

Think I got this off Ebay years ago used it on a 2 speed Sachs Torpedo hub .
IMG_1870.jpeg

Only have a couple of real skip tooth bikes but had 10 tooth sprockets put on them I'm old and heavy but they seem to work for me .
I have 20 tooth sprockets on all my newer bikes and they are not too tough on me .

Back