When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear expander brake help ! Please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

OZ1972

I live for the CABE
Just wandered if anyone knows how to work on the rear brake hub on my 1940 autocycle, does the freewheel thread off of the hub ? , is there any important tips to be aware of, thanks so much

20190703_063748.jpg

20190703_063801.jpg

Yes the freewheel is threaded on and you will need a special tool to remove it. Better yet, take it to your LBS.

Your LBS likely won't/can't help you.

What are you trying to accomplish? Normal axle/cone/race/bearing and drum/shoe service steps apply.

The freewheel assembly itself is a real pain to disassemble and reassemble - tons of tiny little ball bearings to deal with. The last one I serviced I simply flushed it out over and over with WD40 until it ran smooth and grit free. After flushing the WD out with a bit of isopropyl or brake cleaner I then work a bit of new grease in there through the small gap in the dust cover and then loosen it up with a touch of oil if the grease makes it run a bit sticky. If the freewheel works but is just dirty inside I strongly suggest trying this method before actually tearing into it.

I don't think he was thinking about trying to rebuild the freewheel, just remove & replace it. But NO don't take the freewheel apart unless you LOVE pain. As others have said, flushing it out and re lubing it as a last resort is fine.

When i returned home late last night & removed the axle ( my first prewar schwinn ) , and i see what you meen about all the very small ball bearings in the freewheel, not going there LOL , long story short with flushing with PB blaster it seems to be ok & spinning great now , happy 4 th guys & thanks so much for your help !!!!
P.S. will be posting some pictures soon it's a 40 auto cycle deluxe

I took a freewheel apart a few years ago. I chased those little bearings for a long time. The hardest part was getting the spring loaded arms inside the unit. 4 hours of cursing and then it slipped together. I don't think I would take another one apart but found the trick to getting it back together. Can't explain how to do it. The bike rides great now.
IMG_5834.JPG

Back